Yamaha Revstar RS502T / RSS02T ?

What's Hot
I was looking at Jeff Schroeder's rig rundown earlier. I have a spare set of mini humbuckers lying around which would fit nicely in a Revstar!
Any major differences between the two? The new one has a five way switch v the 3 way on the original model. The new one is lighter than the older model? Neck specs the same?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6309
    RSS02T has stainless steel frets and the carbon reinforcement, too. I think...
  • goldtop said:
    RSS02T has stainless steel frets and the carbon reinforcement, too. I think...
    Oh yes that's right, though I don't know what the carbon reinforcement is for...
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited February 19
    I’ve got a black one with P90s and love it .
    Thats an excellent video Jeff uses two Two Notes Torpedo Captor X boxes in his live rig and The Behringer pedal on Billy’s board is brilliant.
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    I wouldn't say major differences but they are definitely different. The RSS has a much more comfortable feel (for me). As already said, carbon fibre in the neck which adds the stability but does affect tone (better or worse is purely a matter of your own opinion). Stainless steel frets. Chambering which helps the weight (obviously) but also the balance. The body is a bit bigger too. I much prefer it to the 502T but I'm also 6'4 so the bigger body helps me a lot. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1425
    edited February 19
    @rossyamaha I am about 6ft 2, so...
    I recall picking up the older green model off a shelf and it was a hefty beast. Just looking for something different....
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2462
    @rossyamaha I am about 6ft 2, so...
    I recall picking up the older green model off a shelf and it was a hefty beast. Just looking for something different....
    The idea in general with Revstar is different but familiar. The was one tagline that was just different enough. I maybe shouldn't say this but an former marketing guy also wanted to use "not your dads guitar". I think that really does sum it up. 

For me, I'm a strat guy. I love Les Pauls but really struggle to play them. This gets you in that postcode in the same way that a PRS does. Close enough but easier to play. If that makes sense?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3393
    edited February 20
    I recently bought a RSS20. 
    It’s a fabulously built guitar, I don’t think anything can touch it for the money but…. Mine is going back. 
    The focus switch I found useless, positions 2&4 oddly nasal and the pickup’s although absolutely fantastic with overdrive have a distinct lack of sparkle clean. Almost like a light blanket over my amp. 
    It’s such a shame as genuinely I think their great players with a build quality that can’t be beaten. 
    The fretwork was ace, the finish was ace and I love the look of the headstock with just the simple Yamaha logo and no writing. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    I had a v1 Revstar and loved the round neck but I sold it when I got my vintage (well, as old as me) SG1000. I later owned a v2 Revstar and although it was a better guitar overall, I didn't enjoy the flatter and thinner neck profile 
  • To be honest the push pull and different switching options wouldn't really interest me. I'd switch the P90s for mini humbuckers! Seems like the 1st generation run are the ones to look out for then...