Epiphone Les Paul Special Selector Switch

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
Anyone had a issue with theirs? Mine's been fine up to now although it's not had a grand amount of playing hours in the 1 year I've had it from new.

I was surprised yesterday when the signal was intermittent while the bridge pick up was selected. I kept having to wiggle to correct it or flick back and forth. Every other position was fine.

I sprayed a bit of Kontakt 10 on it today and it appears to have sorted it, but I only played for 5 minutes.

I don't trust that it was only some shite in the switch that needed cleaning.

Is there another likely fault? Time may prove that it was just dirty but the low amount of playing hours and the fact that it is stored in a case makes me wonder how it could get dirty. Could do without forking out for a new switch.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14841
    Which exact physical type of switch do you have? A genuine USA Switchcraft sprung leaf toggle is unlikely in your Epiphone. There is a generic SE Asian switch made on similar principles to the Switchcraft, only more compact. Then, there is a switch with its contacts concealed within a metal box. I am not a fan of the latter.

For all types, cleaning the contacts should help. Check the solder joints for continuity. Check that the metal parts of your selector switch do not intermittently make physical contact with ground points or screening materials. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 549
    It can be oxidisation on the contacts. Switches often need cleaning and do benefit from switching a few times to prevent oxidisation. My epi Les Paul is about 16 years old and still has the original switch so you shouldn't need to replace it yet.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Fez said:
    It can be oxidisation on the contacts. Switches often need cleaning and do benefit from switching a few times to prevent oxidisation. My epi Les Paul is about 16 years old and still has the original switch so you shouldn't need to replace it yet.
    Thanks, good to know it might be nowt serious. Weird thing is that I've had Guitars for years that have never had a problem with the selector switch (similar style). This Guitar has been treated with kid gloves by comparison.
    Which exact physical type of switch do you have? A genuine USA Switchcraft sprung leaf toggle is unlikely in your Epiphone. There is a generic SE Asian switch made on similar principles to the Switchcraft, only more compact. Then, there is a switch with its contacts concealed within a metal box. I am not a fan of the latter.

For all types, cleaning the contacts should help. Check the solder joints for continuity. Check that the metal parts of your selector switch do not intermittently make physical contact with ground points or screening materials. 
    The site says it just an "Epiphone" Branded Switch. I'll take a pic of the cavity later in the week.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    There is loads of anecdata about Epiphone’s cheap and shoddy switches. I had an open mind until the switch in my old Dot (2001) literally fell apart one day, without warning. After shaking the guitar upside down to get all the pieces out through the f-holes, I replaced it with a Switchcraft. Worth doing inmho if you can solder (or know somebody who can).
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1550
    I have an epiphone les selection switch in my spares box, if you pm me your address, I'd be happy to post it to you 
    Thanks @nero1701 ;

I'll keep that in mind. I'll see how long it behaves now. I may even opt for a switchcraft one in future.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1565
    I've got a 2021 Les Paul Classic. I had the same issues you're describing. In my case, they went away – at least temporarily! – after using contact cleaner. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

Indeed, it went away only temporarily. What a disappointment. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

Yorkie said:
    I've got a 2021 Les Paul Classic. I had the same issues you're describing. In my case, they went away – at least temporarily! – after using contact cleaner. 
    That is very disappointing for an LP Classic. Way more expensive than my Epi. I have a LP Classic too and thankfully it has been OK (he types with his toes crossed)

I take it your problem has just returned :)

Are these switches Gibson branded ones?
    Yorkie said:
    That is very disappointing for an LP Classic. Way more expensive than my Epi. I have a LP Classic too and thankfully it has been OK (he types with his toes crossed)

Mine is an Epi too. I think the switches are just generic stuff. Can see any branding without taking it out. 

I was a bit on the fence wrt changing the electronics because I kind of like the pickups (but NOT their zebra look!), but this has made me reconsider unfortunately. 

Yorkie said:
    Yorkie said:

Mine is an Epi too. I think the switches are just generic stuff. Can see any branding without taking it out. 

I was a bit on the fence wrt changing the electronics because I kind of like the pickups (but NOT their zebra look!), but this has made me reconsider unfortunately. 
    Ah, I thought you meant Gibson LP Classic. I'd hope the switch in my Gibson is decent quality. My bandmate had a lovely Epi LP Standard. It weighed as much as a small Bungalow, though.
    Mine is this one;

It’s a lovely guitar, but the switch is crap and a couple of the knobs were scratchy from day 1. And to think I got it from new! That’ll teach me. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yorkie said:
    Mine is this one;

It’s a lovely guitar, but the switch is crap and a couple of the knobs were scratchy from day 1. And to think I got it from new! That’ll teach me. 
    I'd say it's worth a make-over to address the issues. It is a looker and it'd be a shame not to enjoy it to the max.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14841
    edited February 22
    Yorkie said:
    I kind of like the pickups (but NOT their zebra look!) 
    Epiphone Alnico Classic PRO humbuckers have their followers. The solderless block connector wiring means that it should be easy to swap out the open bobbin zebra humbuckers for another colour scheme.

Unfortunately, superficial research suggests that the only other option is closed/covered.

In your position, I would swap out the Alnico 2 magnets and, then, add covers to hide the bobbins. Neck A4, bridge unoriented A5. Use proper thin covers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    I do prefer covered pickups. I’m now considering whether I should replace pickups and electronics, but the cost to do a decent job is around half the price I paid for the whole thing! 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    Mine failed a few years back, I remember looking for a new one and something about it being a short version? Put a switchcraft one in there and its been fine.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.