Eastman E1SS-SB

What's Hot
Anyone tried one? I've really fallen for it from the spec / look / price point but would value any input. Is it worth the asking price? Struggling to find one used so any advice is welcome. Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7473
    Not that model but got the 00 in the same range (and finish) for my son and am really impressed with it. The fact it played better than my Martin prompted me to get mine worked on! 

I didn’t play the dreadnaught version so obviously you’re probably going to want to do that, but as a comment on the brand at that price point generally it’s a thumbs up here 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    edited February 21
  • tbmtbm Frets: 581
    edited 7:16AM
    Shipwreck said:
    Anyone tried one? I've really fallen for it from the spec / look / price point but would value any input. Is it worth the asking price? Struggling to find one used so any advice is welcome. Cheers
    Not sure if you went ahead with this, but I just picked one of these up and would recommend it. You can ignore the rest of the post if you like, as it's mostly waffle.

I was mulling over a few different hog backed dreads with all solid wood.  It was down to  a Recording King RD-318, Guild D-140, and an Alvarez MD60BG. I have another Guild, and previously owned  an lovely sounding all solid Recording King 12 fretter that I could never get to play right. The Alvarez was an unknown. Reviews spoke highly of all of them, though the Guilds heavy poly finish drew the ire of some.

ANYWAY, a mate who owns Eastman mandolins recommended I look into one of these yokes. As you say, from a spec and price point POV it's very competitive, especially with the gig bag.  Reviews were universally positive, so I went ahead and bought one.  

I'm not a big acoustic player, and am defo one of those people who see €4/5/6K Taylors, Lowdens, Gibsons etc and wonder where the price justification is. That being said, I have played examples of those  pricey new and old acoustic guitars that are pretty amazing. One particular guitar -  think it was a Santa Cruz - when I strummed it the sound came at me from the other side of the room.  It was mad.

I digress. This guitar arrived well set up, and sounds fantastic. I recently recorded with an old J45, and this is every bit as nce to my ears. The fit and finish are great, and the gig bag very decent. I can tell the satin finish will mark easily, but that doesn't bother me too much. It also feels like the kind of guitar that will sound better as it ages. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 61
    Life expenses got in the way but hoping to grab one next year. Seems like it's right on the money though and I'm partial to a matte finish even if wears. Glad you're enjoying! 
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 210
    What's the fingerboard edge like on these? I have an E1OM and the edge is so heavily rounded that the useful playing width starts some way in from the edge. I don't mind it on that guitar, but if they do the same with the narrower nut width on the SS models I'd probably struggle with that.

• tbmtbm Frets: 581
    MartinB said:
    What's the fingerboard edge like on these? I have an E1OM and the edge is so heavily rounded that the useful playing width starts some way in from the edge. I don't mind it on that guitar, but if they do the same with the narrower nut width on the SS models I'd probably struggle with that.

6mm on the treble side, 3 mm on the bass side at the 12th. it doesn't feel cramped at all but i see what you mean, the frets are pretty rounded off. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.