Speaking of pitch effects...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
I just don't like them on guitar. I like them on bass. But not guitar.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thats a great story bra'

:-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17874
    tFB Trader
    I was playing a Boss Overtone today. 

It's brilliant.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    thats a great story bra'

:-P
    :)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I like the ethereal up pitchshifted stuff. Absolute favourite example is the intro to 'slug' on the U2 side project Passengers album. Pitchshifted down is fun for heavy single note riffs and solos especially as the lone guitarist in my band. As always, context is key.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    I was playing a Boss Overtone today. 

It's brilliant.
    @monquixote
    Is it a possible alternative to the EHX B9 do you reckon?  Just seen a vid and it seems to have some good Hammond sounds.
  • Speaking of pitch effects?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XbjFn3aqE

:)

(Although, being the geek that I am, I realise that this is strictly speaking a timbre effect)
    B-)
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    Grunfeld said:
    @monquixote
    Is it a possible alternative to the EHX B9 do you reckon?  Just seen a vid and it seems to have some good Hammond sounds.
    Yes definitely. It's not as close to a real organ as the B9, but it still creates a really good pad sound and on top of that it's smaller, will be more reliable because it's made by Boss (my B9 blew up), is lower current draw, has a tone control, seems to cope better with distortion and doesn't have the slightly useless "click feature".

It has stereo outputs, but I don't know how they are implemented (ideally wet/dry). Hopefully better than the slightly silly implementation on the B9. 

The main advantages the B9 has over the MO-2 is having specific effects on different patches for certain effects. I've used the B9 with a band and it's very convincing which obviously remains to be seen with the MO-2.
    Also I should probably add that that the MO-2 can only do unity as it has a mix knob vs 2 volumes.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Cheers for that. 
    The fact that your B9 is borked, and that Boss are boringly reliable, might be a deciding factor.  The organ sound is a one trick pony, albeit a great trick.  And I might well accept the compromise of better reliability plus a few other sounds (and smaller footprint) over "better Hammond sound" from the EHX.
    tFB Trader
    The MO-2 can also do Royal Blood type sounds as well if that floats your boat which the B9 doesn't really do.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    edited October 2014
    Sorry @Drew_fx, but your opening post reminded me of this:

:P

• I love blending in some 1 octave down for low riffs, sounds great into a big distorted tone or better still a fuzz. Totally useless for the music I play but great fun.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Tried the new (ish) Digitech Whammy 5 yesterday, it's fantastic. Massively better than the 4.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Bucket said:
    Tried the new (ish) Digitech Whammy 5 yesterday, it's fantastic. Massively better than the 4.
    Are you 100% sure it was a Whammy 4? Seems to be quite a lot of confusion as to which is which!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Drew_fx said:
    Bucket said:
    Are you 100% sure it was a Whammy 4? Seems to be quite a lot of confusion as to which is which!!!
    I had a 4, which is this one:

I tried the 5, which is this:

The 5 has several new algorithms, which provide a lot of very useful pitch-shifting options, and also has a polyphonic mode which enables you to pitch-shift chords with less of the unpleasant glitchy sounds. Of course, you can still get those glitchy sounds in classic mode if you're playing some Radiohead or whatever. I think the V also runs off a normal 9v power supply rather than needing its own.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Ohhhh... you don't say!!!

;)
  • Interesting !

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    What's not to love? I think sometimes you can get dragged into playing certain songs /styles with them. But I've happy used them for years, fattening up some lead sounds!