Something new to spend some money on

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7936

Having filled my lounge with guitars and pedals and settled on a Tonex pedal plus Katana for my amp needs, I've decided that it's time to have a few lessons to fill a few hours and get a little more out of myself and my gear.

I've been playing off and on for 40+ years but other than a few bass lessons with Steve Lawson I'm self-taught and very aware of my limitations.

I don't have time to get a local teacher so online is fine, plus if I'm honest I hate flailing and failing in front of someone and am far happier being shown something I can take away and work on alone.

With two weeks to trial things I've gone for the Tim Pierce Masterclass to see if it works for me, and so far I reckon it's going to be useful (and not alarmingly expensive at £100/year, especially if I can cram in as much as I need in one year). 

Looking forward to doing something other than aimlessly noodling around the D Phrygian Dominant scale and playing four or five chord progressions, which is mostly what I'm doing right now. 
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    I’ve watched a lot of Tim’s videos and he plugs the masterclass (he says he doesn’t really make any money off YouTube, that his channel is basically a loss leader to sell the masterclass). But I don’t think I’ve ever read about  anyone using. It seems to focus on melodic improvisation but it also sounds like it might be a lot of random video content. So, it would be interesting to know what you make of it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    Tim Pierce is great. I haven't tried his lessons but his youtube is really good. Likewise Tom Bukovac and Eric Haugen. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4411
    edited February 21
    I think if it's a case of buying access to a bunch of video lessons I'd probably be more inclined towards a Truefire all access subscription and then you've got Tim Pierce (who has a few courses on there) but also a whole bunch of other people's courses (Andy Timmons, Eric Haugen, Steve Vai, YJM, Andy Wood, Tim Lerch) plus a bunch of people who are primarily educators rather than artists. As opposed to just one person's content. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16463
    Lewy said:
    I think if it's a case of buying access to a bunch of video lessons I'd probably be more inclined towards a Truefire all access subscription and then you've got Tim Pierce (who has a few courses on there) but also a whole bunch of other people's courses (Andy Timmons, Eric Haugen, Steve Vai, YJM, Andy Wood, Tim Lerch) plus a bunch of people who are primarily educators rather than artists. As opposed to just one person's content. 
    I don't have a laptop and on my iPad I find Truefire really annoying to use (and unless Steve Vai does a course called Rock Guitar for Idiots I'm not entirely sure what I'd get from all access). I would hope that Tim's content is structured but he often says oh I've just added some more videos so I get the impression that it isn't, but I clearly don't actually know. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.