UPDATE Goodbye EMGs - they're gone

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1336
edited March 1 in Guitar
That eye watering moment when you're about to butcher them out and throw them in a bin. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/5fd8tnKtgMY?si=F_wS2HBEl-cm03bz

A pair of alnico 5 Teslas and Alegree 50's wiring ready to be dropped in tonight. If these don't work well then still got a pair Dimarzio distortions to be tried. 

I'll upload another clip with a result
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1336
    Someone's just messaged about the binning part - I meant eBay of course ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They certainly have a nice AC/DC-like tone.  Not sure I can find much fault!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19515
    I liked the clip you played, although my ear tone clearly differs from your head tone.
    If you had fitted proper vintage NOS batteries, you would keep the EMG's... :-D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615

Not a fan of the tone but I don't think that's the EMG's ... more likely the patch on the modeller maybe ? 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @imalrightjack you nearly got me there ;)

@Kittyfrisk I've tried the Murphy Lab battery but the clip was coming off...

@Danny1969 Oh man, I've never thought about switching the patch or plugging it into my tube amps... ;)
    Jokes aside, it's a great feeling and a very well made guitar sounding equally not best in other applications than heavy stuff through helix and my tube amps - the emgs are going mate, it needs a chance. 
    edited February 21
    KrisGee said:
    @imalrightjack you nearly got me there

@Danny1969 Oh man, I've never thought about switching the patch or plugging it into my tube amps...
    Jokes aside, it's a great feeling and a very well made guitar sounding equally not best in other applications than heavy stuff through helix and my tube amps - the emgs are going mate, it needs a chance. 
    Gaffa/Gaffer tape is always the answer to fixing Murphy Lab issues   
    I might have missed an earlier post of yours, what combination were the EMG's ?
  • KrisGee said:
    @imalrightjack you nearly got me there ;)

@Danny1969 Oh man, I've never thought about switching the patch or plugging it into my tube amps... ;)
    I wasn’t joking  :o
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    I was a little bit though ha ha. They sound not bad for high gain. Not very applicable elsewhere. 
    @Kittyfrisk they are 2 x 81. Factory fitted, Hammett's preference springs to mind. 
    Cool, thanks.
    I have an 81/85 set in an Epiphone Korina Explorer with an 18v adapter. I love it's really clean, punchy, crispy sound.
    Also have an old KH20 Strat set that I really should get round to fitting at some point... *whistles nonchalantly, exit stage left*
    Just as well we don't all llke the same sounds. Your thread, your guitar, your rules :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 1
    Job done. Alegree wiring and Tesla VR2 humbuckers now fitted. 

All working fine and harness from Alegree was an easy drop in job with minimum soldering required. They should work a little bit harder on packaging though, dropping fragile electrical components straight into a jiffy bag is a little bit of a no go. Luckily didn't get damaged in post. 

Once the job was done I couldn't resist to give the guitar a go with this classic. Happy as a pig in shit

If anyone fancies trying the Helix patch I've created for the vid above - it's here:

https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/6322180/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17934
    tFB Trader
    I don't have much experience with EMGs do they differ from regular humbuckers running into a neutral booster pedal?
    Sorry I don't have much experience with EMGs running into a neutral booster pedal ;)

But I imagine they have enough output themselves to drive the amp properly before reaching out for a booster pedal. If that's what you meant?