Standard scale guitar tuned to B standard

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1381
I see Stringjoy have an Ariel Posen signature set (17 to 64) intended to be used for low-tuned “standard” scale guitars.

Anyone ever try this (or them)?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    Interesting idea, but you need to commit to it.  You would have to widen the nut slots to fit those strings.  You would need a new nut if you want to go back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    I've done it. Nearly - I had it in Open B. I enjoyed it a lot.

The nut slots only needed a little widening so I didn't need a new nut when I went back.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I took some of these round to a guy's house while testing a prospective purchase the other day, he was very patient to wait while I filed out the nut slots and got these put on, but in the end he wouldn't shift on his asking price so I came home empty handed.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    I had my RG570 strung B-B on 13s. It was gert lush. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • That Posen set is daft and completely unnecessary. Check out the total tension on 25.5 scale at B standard. I have put in a set of D'Addario EXL148 underneath to compare. The top set of the three is what I have on one of my 25.5 scale Majestys C standard and that feels roughly like a standard tuning set of 9.5s and plays fantastic.

If you are on Gibson scale well I'll bow out gracefully...

I would save the money for now and just get a set of 12s or 13s from your usual brand and try them. No need to go as heavy as the Posen set - it will feel like a scaffold board and need about 3 turns on the truss rod.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 333
    edited February 22
    I tune my tele to drop A - AEADGB and it works fine. Depending on the bridge of your guitar, you can get away fine with a set of baritone strings (13-60 maybe? D’addario ones). If it’s a TOM bridge I think the baritones are too tight, but string through is better. I personally use a custom set of singles from strings direct, can’t remember the exact numbers now but it’s 12 on the high B, 56 on the low A and a wound third. I the five higher strings are “normal” feeling but I do prefer the slacker low A. I could push it to 60 to get a more uniform tension if I wanted. 

I’ve previously set a les Paul to B standard with baritone strings and it was ok, but they were pretty tight so I would assume that 17s are practically unplayable. I’ve not tuned a 24.75” that low since getting a 25.5” scale. 

It can be done though - bands like Yob tune to A standard on 24.75” scale, and Thou tune to drop E and G on Gibsons too. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14842
    a scaffold board
    Thank you for using the correct term. 

People who say pole and/or plank should serve as labourer in a scaffolding gang for a week without pay, tea or cigs. That'll learn 'em.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73220
    It’s very simple - 13s are correct, because the B string is a 13 in a standard set of 10s. The F# (was G, but close enough), D and A strings are the same, moved across one string position, and you just need an appropriate low B.

I‘ve done it on a couple of Teles using a double-ball-end bass string with the small ball end, which fits in the ferrule. I used a 65-gauge, which was also the largest that would fit in the tuner post.

You could probably get away with 11s because the B in a set of 9s is an 11, but in fact it’s a bit too light and should really be a 12 - I think something like 11, 15, 22W, 34W, 40W (roughly the bottom 5 strings in a set of 8s) and about a 52 or 54 low B would still work.

You do need to widen the nut grooves, but if done correctly with smoothly rounded bottoms (I know… ;) ) then you can re-fit normal string gauges with no issues. I returned mine to standard and it wasn’t obvious that anything was different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1381
    edited February 22
    I have a 30” baritone tuned to B standard and use the light D’Addario baritone set (13, 18, 26w, 36, 46, 62) and it is quite guitar-y.

There is a tightness and a tautness to it which an E standard guitar doesn’t have, without it being too bass-like.  I imagine using the same strings on a 25.5” scale would give a lot looser feel.

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 681
    edited February 22
    Not sure how that feels guitar-y! That 13 set at 25.5 would feel just fine and as ICBM pointed out basically a shoe-in without any setup tweaks beyond nut slots.

EDIT: the "DIFF FACT" is a comparison with musicman 25.5" factory setup 10-46 i.e. here 1.92lbs more total tension than 10-46 at E standard

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12122
    I have a 30” baritone tuned to B standard and use the light D’Addario baritone set (13, 18, 26w, 36, 46, 62) and it is quite guitar-y.

There is a tightness and a tautness to it which an E standard guitar doesn’t have, without it being too bass-like.  I imagine using the same strings on a 25.5” scale would give a lot looser feel.

I keep telling people this

For lower tunings, longer scales feel and sound more like a guitar than just sticking very thick strings on a normal scale length
    Not sure how that feels guitar-y! That 13 set at 25.5 would feel just fine and as ICBM pointed out basically a shoe-in without any setup tweaks beyond nut slots.

EDIT: the "DIFF FACT" is a comparison with musicman 25.5" factory setup 10-46 i.e. here 1.92lbs more total tension than 10-46 at E standard

You'd have to try it, the bends and sounds are more natural, I know because I own 30", 27" and normal scale, and shorter scale guitars.

I recommend D-D on 27 inch scales, B-B on 30 inch
    By all means try 13s on a normal scale, but if it doesn't feel similar, bear in mind that other options exist
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    That Posen set is daft and completely unnecessary. Check out the total tension on 25.5 scale at B standard. I have put in a set of D'Addario EXL148 underneath to compare. The top set of the three is what I have on one of my 25.5 scale Majestys C standard and that feels roughly like a standard tuning set of 9.5s and plays fantastic.

I would save the money for now and just get a set of 12s or 13s from your usual brand and try them. No need to go as heavy as the Posen set - it will feel like a scaffold board and need about 3 turns on the truss rod.

Do you actually have your own spreadsheet that can compare strings?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I have had a few 27" guitars at different tunings. Just providing real numbers for the OP to compare. From the first post we had no idea that they already have a 30" scale.

For me a 7 string is a far more useful option for B and lower when playing lead and rhythm parts - especially when changing guitars between songs. The muscle memory for stretches, multi string arpeggios and faster passages in my case is based on 25.5" with 27" being an OK compromise but jumping to 30" not worth it for the adjustment and concentration and in a mix nobody listening would notice the difference with high gain.

I would consider 30" if I had a project or set tuned down that low but for the odd song and riff it isn't worth it.
  • CHRISB50 said:
    That Posen set is daft and completely unnecessary. Check out the total tension on 25.5 scale at B standard. I have put in a set of D'Addario EXL148 underneath to compare. The top set of the three is what I have on one of my 25.5 scale Majestys C standard and that feels roughly like a standard tuning set of 9.5s and plays fantastic.

It uses D'Addario specs for the calculations because most manufacturers don't publish unit weights of their strings. If you really wanted to you can rearrange the tension formula to derive the unit weight from published stats on the others but I have never bothered.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have had a few 27" guitars at different tunings. Just providing real numbers for the OP to compare. From the first post we had no idea that they already have a 30" scale.

For me a 7 string is a far more useful option for B and lower when playing lead and rhythm parts - especially when changing guitars between songs. The muscle memory for stretches, multi string arpeggios and faster passages in my case is based on 25.5" with 27" being an OK compromise but jumping to 30" not worth it for the adjustment and concentration and in a mix nobody listening would notice the difference with high gain.

I would consider 30" if I had a project or set tuned down that low but for the odd song and riff it isn't worth it.
    personal taste really.
    I tried a 7 string, then got a very nice 8 string Schecter
    I found it tricky, but certainly it does give you more options
    so for once bought a new guitar, the 6 strong 30 inch version of the Schecter. I still love it
    I want guitar-like top 3 strings, with deep bass on the bottom

I did buy an 8 string Harley Benton bass, which I planned to restring as an XRG
    (Extended range guitar) - idea was to use normal guitar gauges on the top 3 or 4. However, it was hard to get ones with the right size ball ends, and I lost interest in the project, when I saw them selling used for more than I paid new
  • I have had a few 27" guitars at different tunings. Just providing real numbers for the OP to compare. From the first post we had no idea that they already have a 30" scale.

personal taste really.
    I tried a 7 string, then got a very nice 8 string Schecter
    I found it tricky, but certainly it does give you more options
    so for once bought a new guitar, the 6 strong 30 inch version of the Schecter. I still love it
    I want guitar-like top 3 strings, with deep bass on the bottom

I did buy an 8 string Harley Benton bass, which I planned to restring as an XRG
    (Extended range guitar) - idea was to use normal guitar gauges on the top 3 or 4. However, it was hard to get ones with the right size ball ends, and I lost interest in the project, when I saw them selling used for more than I paid new

Definitely personal taste. And perhaps physical size lmitations! I would struggle on an 8 string and end up hurting myself :)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    CHRISB50 said:

It uses D'Addario specs for the calculations because most manufacturers don't publish unit weights of their strings. If you really wanted to you can rearrange the tension formula to derive the unit weight from published stats on the others but I have never bothered.

I’m not sure I would ever need to use it, but cheers. That’s very kind. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    I’m not sure I would ever need to use it, but cheers. That’s very kind. 

I suspect that applies to most! I have a propensity for exploring deep rabbit holes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom