PRS John Mayer “Dead Spec” Silver Sky Wiring - might be of interest to some of you

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
in Guitar tFB Trader
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14842
    Smartphone ad blocker app won't let me see the article. I don't care enough to switch it off to read PGMG.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Smartphone ad blocker app won't let me see the article. I don't care enough to switch it off to read PGMG.
    posted via my Mac Book but just checked phone and all okay - but yes loaded with pop up ads as normal
    tFB Trader
    If you’d like to build your own, the circuit is very basic and it’s just a few parts, so with some experience, it should be no problem. I found several circuit drawings on the internet containing errors, some of them in a way that the circuit will not work. Here is the original and error-free Alembic Blaster circuit for you:

If you want to build an improved version of this circuit, here is a drawing by my dear friend Bernd C. Meiser from the BSM company. It features two additional resistors (R5 as a pull-down resistor to prevent popping noises when turning the booster on, and R6 to avoid RF interferences), a different transistor, and some changed part values to make it sound more tube-like.

tFB Trader
    see above @Funkfingers - this is the gist of it giving a circuit for the 'Alembic Blaster' switchable boost option
    tFB Trader

Neck and middle pickups sharing a tone pot? That's me out.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    The Blaster is a great little circuit. Fuzzdog does a clone
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    My issue with such a booster, and that includes the Clapton boost circuit, is that if it is such a good idea, then why not have a simple 'floor' boost pedal option - Then I can have it on any guitar, to use as and when I want, be it an old vintage model, or whatever
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 891
    edited February 22
    My issue with such a booster, and that includes the Clapton boost circuit, is that if it is such a good idea, then why not have a simple 'floor' boost pedal option - Then I can have it on any guitar, to use as and when I want, be it an old vintage model, or whatever
    I've done basically that. 

I think when Clapton got in to it there was a kind of "loudness war" going on with guitar players stage sounds. Don't know if that had anything to do with it?
    Bit like the rangemaster thing.
    In other words, he didn't want anyone to know that he was using fx. 
    Clapton's signature model guitar was a Fender Stratocaster but he expected it to reject hum and have the power of humbuckers. 

The 1982/3 American Deluxe Stratocaster was supposedly developed with Clapton in mind. Hence, the MDX mid boost. Too bad that some other features were shite. (A hardtail version would be an interesting prospect.)