Any sub-£1000 Jazzmasters have out the box usable trem?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3340
    There’s a s/h Rexter built JM with staytrem and stuff on gumtree at the moment. If I had 850 I’d be all over it, looks to be a cracking guitar. 
    Looks amazing, but mahogany neck and body doesn't seem like much fun for gigging, weight-wise.
    Depends on the mahogany to be honest (not sure if the seller mentions the weight), will also naturally offset some of the brightness of the JM pickups I suspect. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3340
    The American performer series are alright too. Not dissimilar to your Doheny, but well put together, nice pickups and a very useable strat trem. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73214

Any sub-£1000 Jazzmasters have out the box usable trem?
    Yes, all of them.

You just need to know how to adjust them correctly, they're no different from any other guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
    impmann said:
    My Squier 40th Anniversary JM has been spot on - and the bridge works too.
    The only thing I’ve done is the ‘hammer trick’ to improve the feel of the arm.
    I got mine *new* from Thomann on a deal for £289 and it’s been as good to play as any expensive JM I’ve owned. Genuinely.
    What is this ‘hammer trick’ of which you Earth people speak?
  • Thanks for all these answers!

Can't decide if better to go Squire and upgrade or cheap fender...and probably still upgrade.

Thought maybe limited edition player was perfect but then read about string alignment (narrow neck) and got scared as that's exactly what I'm running from.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2917
    If get the 40th Anniversary Squire JM or Mascis and take it from there before spending loads.  
  • Is the 40th anniversary available? It hasn't cropped up in my investigations.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2917
    Second hand yes, they pop up. I got mine from Thoman when they were blowing em out. Proper set up and no upgraded bridge etc needed.  I have needed them before on Jap models etc. 

Only thing I was gonna upgrade was the electrics , not the pickups just the tone pots and volume.