Building /assembling a guitar around the pickups! DeArmond content

What's Hot

Comments

• MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    Eugh, that's not what I wanted to hear! I'm talking spruce top acoustics and it's hard not to be blotchy/ muddy. I heard you can mix oil paint or something but I've not tried. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16721
    edited February 24
    Tru oil can be tinted with most sprit based stains, but it is just a tint as its applied so thinly its hard to build up a colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1302
    Route the pickup routes all the through and put backplates on?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10490
    tFB Trader
    Route the pickup routes all the through and put backplates on?
    I could ... bit bodgy mind :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    You could use a Gretsch style bridge to give you the height you need. 

The chopped Bigshy B17 looks very cool
    on a tele B16 and B5 also can be chopped. 

The Dusenberg Diamond trem is excellent. 

Also maybe consider the Wilkins Wigsby. There are two models, one is surface mount, the other requires a routing. 

Jazzmaster trem would also look cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:

Also maybe consider the Wilkins Wigsby. There are two models, one is surface mount, the other requires a routing. 

All excellent ideas ... 
    Keeping an eye on cost ... so will have to see. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Oil paints work with Osmo.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    edited February 25
    TheMarlin said:

All excellent ideas ... 
    Keeping an eye on cost ... so will have to see. 
    The Wigsby is only £75.
     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125860026739?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8Utqhg1YTEy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=3gw4Mp6ER2O&var=426828054412&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It’s similar in construction to the trem found in Supros (like the Belmomt model) though styled differently.  Fantastic little trem. 
    tFB Trader
    The progress so far is offering up various bits to see what fits .... the Rick style bridge won't be a feature ... just there to give an idea of what we have 

The amount the adjustment screws stick up tells you how much deeper the pickup routs  need to be over normal humbuckers! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That will look really cool.  I think it would suit a Perspex cabronita style guard painted gold or silver on the back
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    That neck is going to be a tall one!
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    That will look really cool.  I think it would suit a Perspex cabronita style guard painted gold or silver on the back
    I tried a chunk of mother of toilet seat on there and that looked good too :-)

tFB Trader
    That neck is going to be a tall one!
    Nose bleeds around the 17th fret :-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 246
    The progress so far is offering up various bits to see what fits .... the Rick style bridge won't be a feature ... just there to give an idea of what we have 

The amount the adjustment screws stick up tells you how much deeper the pickup routs  need to be over normal humbuckers! 
    Looks super cool to me! I had some P90 size Dynas in my Les Paul Special for a bit (pickups were from Gabojo - no relation to Boris Johnson) - definitely a sound of their own.
    tFB Trader
    Well I I just dropped the wedge and bought a Bigsby B5 (not a drastic wedge as I get trade on that). 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And the roasted maple neck has arrived ... left under the bins by the dumb arsed courier ... anyway I found it so no harm done.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Courier came with me new Bigsby today ... gorgeous! 

The trial fit of the neck confirmed that I was going to have to set the Dynasonics into the body by just over 6mm ... so broke out the 1600w router and brought the noise! This means I can use a normal Tele style bridge ... or at least half of one. 
    Fender make a a half bridge plate cut away at the back edge for the strings to pass though. However, stuff paying £80 for it! So hacksaw and bench grinder ... plus needle files ... and I'd made my own from a tele bridge I had lying around. I'll polish the cut edges and put a little clear lacquer on them to keep corrosion at bay. 

Next job ... to rout the centre of the pickup cavities to the full 37mm I need to clear the springs.

Not to mention do a bit of a fret sort out on the new neck ... it arrived with a daft, big back bow - which I dialled out with the truss rod and my levelling notched rule ... I tried the fret rocker ... and yep it needs a level and crown, as well as those 'ground off at 45 degrees' fret ends sorted. The neck has nice flame ... but the claimed 'bone nut' must have come from a plastic cow!  

I will probably take the scratchplate tight around the pickups ... and hide the buggered chrome as well as the mounting screws :-)  Mother of toilet seat looks fab against the red ... so I may go that way.

More soon 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's looking good, glad recessing them worked well.... but I still think a more Gretschy style guard should be used ;)  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28377
    I am a big fan of MoTS. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."