Guitars: Ever gone for function over form?

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 12560
edited February 24 in Guitar
Or to put it more crudely, have you ever bought a butt-ugly munter of a guitar either for its' feature-set or because it plays sublimely?  We all know looks are what first draw us in, but have you ever bucked that shallow trend?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6309
    ^ Anyone who bought a Telecaster
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    I bought a Reverend Reeves Gabrels sig once, more for function than form, I always found it an awkward looking shape, especially the section around the controls and jack socket. Not exactly a munter though. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4410
    To an extent…in so far as I’ve never been into the look of pointy guitars but I play a Jackson because it does everything I want a guitar to do and feels so effortless to play. And then as a result I’ve started to retrospectively appreciate the aesthetics of it because I associate it with the great feeling of playing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 24
    spooky,  I was thinking of posting a very similar thread in the week...............  personally I dont think I would/could.  
    Im also at the stage now where,   aesthetics come first,  then its a set of diminishing compromises. 
    Tho I doubt very very much if I'll ever buy another electric. 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24905
    Always!

I never buy for aesthetics. I don’t give a crap what an instrument looks like. If it looks nice then that’s a bonus, but I really don’t care.

There are loads of beautiful instruments that I refuse to even consider because their function is compromised.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3140
    sort of. I bought a Hohner g3t cricket bat purely so 1. it could live on an accessible shelf next to my desk for  instant idea grabbing and 2. so I could sling it in the boot of my old car (MR2 so no real boot to speak of) for visits to the beach & festivals (I made a rough portable speaker festival rig for it). Maybe this is form over function but if you call the function 'accessibility' I'll claim it here. It's neither a looker nor does it paticularly sound/feel great to play.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    It’s got to be both really. I wouldn’t buy a guitar that looked great but played and sounded bad. Equally if a guitar sounded and played fabulous but was not what I liked looks wise.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1268
    I have never bought one I didn't like the look of. There are so many different types, colours,pickups etc that I can't imagine not being able to find a guitar that does sound, looks and feels good.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23840
    Not really, but I've quite often bought guitars in colours I didn't like, because I wanted that model.  That's about as close as I've got.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27892
    I will never buy a guitar I don't think looks cool. Mind you I'd also not buy one that didn't feel and sound good. 

I might build one purely to get a specific set of pickups for studio use etc bt I'd still try and make it look cool...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 889
    goldtop said:
    Telecasters have neither form nor function  ;)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 889
    Always!

I never buy for aesthetics. I don’t give a crap what an instrument looks like. If it looks nice then that’s a bonus, but I really don’t care.

There are loads of beautiful instruments that I refuse to even consider because their function is compromised.
    Is that why you wear stretchy slacks and work boots?  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Never.  For me, a guitar has to visually inspire me to pick it up and play it.  There are no headless bodiless monstrosities in the Cols household, and there never will be.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    Always!

I agree.
    Like my Godin SD24 which came loaded with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge & STK-S4 in the neck and middle.
    Lovely easy playing neck, great tones & I even love the colour 
    ;) 

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12560
    Always!

I agree.
    Like my Godin SD24 which came loaded with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge & STK-S4 in the neck and middle.
    Lovely easy playing neck, great tones & I even love the colour  ;) 

Yep, I can certainly see you didn't buy it for it's aethetics :-)

Actually I quite like it, and I definitely like the colour.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10406
    goldtop said:
    Whaaaaaat??? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24905
    Kurtis said:
    Always!

Is that why you wear stretchy slacks and work boots?  :)
    Actually I do buy identical sets of clothes when I find something I like. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7935
    goldtop said:
    Whaaaaaat??? 

Telecasters seem to be the current easy target for those who know nothing ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9865
    Philly_Q said:
    Not really, but I've quite often bought guitars in colours I didn't like, because I wanted that model.  That's about as close as I've got.
    Same here. I bought a Vintera Strat recently in Seafoam Green which definitely wouldn’t have been my first choice of colour. I played a bunch of others but the moment I picked this one up I knew I’d be taking it home.

As for aesthetics, there are certainly some things that would be deal breakers…

Large-headstock Strats
    3TSB
    BIrd inlays (probably)
    FR-style trems
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 970
    Yes. Bought a Cream T Aurora for the pickup changing system. Guitar turned out to be exceptionally good but I liked the Bangers & Mash HB and Duchess P90 combination so much that I never bothered swapping them out for more than an hour or two.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???