Alternative to Behringer P1

What's Hot
I want to get an IEM portable belt amplifier and was considering the Behringer P1. I need a couple of XLR inputs. One for guitar and one for the backing track. I looked on Amazon and (like everything on Amazon) there were quite a few negative reviews mainly around build quality. They are cheap and I don't mind paying a bit more for something considered better quality. Can anybody recommend a better unit with essentially the same functionality or are they all much of a muchness?

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    edited February 24
    I wouldn't bother it's easier to have the headphone amp on the floor and run the signal from that via another stereo cable or preferably a combo cable upto your belt where you can plug your IEM's in 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1987
    Danny1969 said:
    I wouldn't bother it's easier to have the headphone amp on the floor and run the signal from that via another stereo cable or preferably a combo cable upto your belt where you can plug your IEM's in 
    A floor amp or desk amp is OK. Got any particular recommendation @Danny1969 ; I was just going to buy a TRS to XLR for the guitar. What's a combo cable and where can I get one? Bit new to this. 

Ian

How are you running what your have ? 

Is it a band situation, are you using a mixing desk etc ?

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited February 24
    Danny1969 said:
    How are you running what your have ? 

Is it a band situation, are you using a mixing desk etc ?

No @Danny1969 ;; it's not a band situation. I want to use it to play along to backing tracks through headphones at home without disturbing anyone. I also want the option to play through studio monitors when I don't need to worry so much about disturbing people. I'm finding less time to plug direct into an amp for home use. Just got some less tolerant neighbours moved in. I want to maximise my options. I know you are a font of knowledge on these setups so I appreciate the advice. 

Ian

Have you thought about the £55 Nux plug ? You plug that into the guitar and then headphones plug into that. Then you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux from your phone or any other device that has bluetooth. It's wonderful little device for silent home practice with various quality amps and a good set of effects. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

Have you thought about the £55 Nux plug ? You plug that into the guitar and then headphones plug into that. Then you can bluetooth backing tracks to the Nux from your phone or any other device that has bluetooth. It's wonderful little device for silent home practice with various quality amps and a good set of effects. 
    Got one but it has an annoying high pitched whistle on it. 

Ian

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6921
    Why don’t you want the P1?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Why don’t you want the P1?
    I'm not saying I don't want the P1. Reviews put me off. It may be fine. Just wondered if I should pay for something better. If it turns out to be a pig in a poke then I've only wasted £50. That could get me a bottle of Ardbeg though.  :)

Ian

Devil#20 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Get a used  MP-2 the older one, I've heard the new model has issues but I haven't heard of any issues with the MP-2 .. I've hacked the guts out of one of them and installed it in an amp next to a class D circuit and it's very stable noise wise. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited February 25
    Danny1969 said:
    Devil#20 said:
    Danny1969 said:

Get a used  MP-2 the older one, I've heard the new model has issues but I haven't heard of any issues with the MP-2 .. I've hacked the guts out of one of them and installed it in an amp next to a class D circuit and it's very stable noise wise. 
    I'm not sure if mine is the new or old Nux but I'm not going to buy another. It's OK for what it is I suppose but I cba with the phone interface and not fussed about the effects modelling. I'd sooner get something like the Behringer but maybe a better quality unit but I'm not sure what's available. For effects I'd be happier just running the guitar through my pedalboard and into the headphone amp and IEM's or monitor speakers. What's available as a better quality alternative to the P1. The reviews are a bit critical of build quality. However, I'm aware that if I take the negative Amazon reviews as typical I'd never buy anything. I'm happier taking recommendations from people on here. 

Ian

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    The P1 is fine. I've got about half a dozen of them, seen regular use as rental stock for a good few years on tours, function gigs, theatre pits. . Main weak point is the battery cover and the battery clip, but if it's just you in a home environment I'm sure it'll be fine. Had a couple of chassis screws work loose on one unit over the course of a tour but aside from that they've been grand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom