What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 923
I’ve decided I need a 6g3 in my life.
What’s the Suhr Hombre like?
Positive or negative comments.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    Stiff and a bit bland clean, not a great deal of treble and no sparkle, narrow sweet spot and farts out a bit if you push it too hard; mine had significant tube rattle too. Need to be loud in that potentially-fatiguing small amp way to hit the sweet spot on the volume (7ish). 

On the plus side, they sound great in the sweet spot for that Marshally grind, and they’re really light.

I think they’re a one trick pony. Great trick though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would agree with @Moe_Zambeek - maybe not so critically. I didn’t feel the lack of treble/sparkle so much, but definitely agree that there wasn’t much magic at all until it was above 6 on the volume.

Then too high above that you really need to work hard to stop it squishing out, sounded fine with a treble booster to cut the bass frequencies.

The Chris Stapleton might be a better option? For me it sounds better across the entire volume range, and not so in your face loud. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 269
    Given the above advice you could purchase the Origin Revival Trem/Deluxe 61. It’s essentially that amp in a box 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Upon reading it back, it does sound overly negative.

I would just add, that if the Hombre hits “that sound” you are after - then it’s a home run.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    edited February 25 tFB Trader
    I have not played the hombre, but it is a fairly good copy of the 6G3 and I have a clone of one of those. 

I had to swap out the speaker several times till I found one I liked. The amp has a lot of mids and the top end is warm, so having a slightly brighter speaker can help.

It is the last amp I would choose for clean sounds, but if I was going for Billy Gibbons dirty blues its is pure joy

The amp has loads of bass in the circuit which can lead to farty sounds/blocking distortion. That can be fixed with a boost pedal or EQ pedal out front.

A close relative to this amp is the Marshall 1974x which is a little tighter and has a slightly different drive sound due to the EL84s and the lack of blocking distortion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3443
    @Modulus_Amps when I had the Hombre, I was pretty much thinking I’d rather have a 1974x…so I’m in full agreement.
  • Hombre owner... Very different experience to others I would say. Is very loud compared to what you might expect from its wattage rating/tubes. Has a unique edge of gritty clean and seems paired well to the speaker that comes in the combo, though I perhaps have not played mine enough to even break it in. I too was tempted by the Stapleton Princeton (and still am) but the Hombre is a lovely thing in its own right.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    in depth look at the construction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3U3YOVLn0
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I would keep the 5E3 and try a tweed champ or vibro champ reverb.