Shorter scale for a new player: Jaguar, Mustang?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14841
    BahHumbug said:
    Jags are nice but heavy
    MIJ/CIJ examples tend to be. AVRI, AV and AO are far more sensible weightwise.

The suggestion from UnclePsychosis to tune down and capo up makes good economic sense. It would probably only be for a year or so. 

The argument against is that, if the guitar the lad borrows has a vibrato bridge, it would need to be either reset or blocked off.

IMO, the lad would feel more invested in learning if the guitar he plays is his rather than on loan. No need to worry about being bollocked for dinging the finish.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73214
    Even vintage Jags are quite heavy - mine was a little over 8lb, from memory - and despite the scale length they’re a big guitar, bigger than a Strat. I would definitely not recommend one for a child who isn’t big enough to play a full-size guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    Echoing some of the suggestions above -

Find a used MiM Offset or Player Mustang with a rosewood/pau ferro fretboard and the single coils (not the MP90s).

Then give the frets and set up some tlc. You will have a great guitar for both Junior, and yourself. 

If you get on well with it and feel it could go a step further, just buy some Mojo or Seymour Duncan vintage spec Mustang pickups to turn it into something really nice and usable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom