I want a better Strat switch

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
The switch in my MIM Classic Lacquer Strat is lacking a positive, feel - it feels “soft” with no real click between the positions. I notice it has no spring like the quality switches I expected to see in there:

https://i.imgur.com/VFEf1u0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mw819Dp.jpg

So then - Oak Grigsby or CRL… do both have the classic spring action? Any preference of the two?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73214
    CRL. The action is much nicer and they're more reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1466
    10 way if you are changing it
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9803
    CRL ordered - thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    A Freeway (10-way) gives you other options, like neck+bridge, all three, or a couple of series options.
    It works like a normal 5-way but also switches sideways onto a second row of five.'

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7145
    edited February 25 tFB Trader
    It is an Oak Grigsby which is standard Fender. As @ICBM says a CRL will be a big improvement.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73214
    It is an Oak Grigsby which is standard Fender. As @ICBM says a CRL will be a big improvement.
    Ah, I can see the pics now - yes, that's an Oak Grigsby.

According to something I read recently, they're owned by CRL now, but they're keeping making both designs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    Very timely thread….CRL it is then. Any suggestions of where to buy to avoid fakes? 
    I just googled to see what the difference was and I found this thread:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/44719/crl-or-oak-grigsby

Same conclusions there, but the prices have gone up about 50% in 9 years!
    edited February 25
    tone1 said:
    Very timely thread….CRL it is then. Any suggestions of where to buy to avoid fakes? 
    I ordered one from Northwest Guitars, mainly because I needed a small pot of touch-up lacquer as well. Plenty of other places have them - Six String Supplies, Gear4Music, Strings Direct... although they are £30 in some places!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    CRL are pricey but they are noticeably better to use
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1550
    edited February 25
    I got caught out on ebay bout a year ago.

Oak Grigsby style switch...

So..not an oak grigsby, less than a year in and about 4-5 gigs and its starting to miss!
  • PALPAL Frets: 567
    As already mentioned CRL.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    edited February 26 tFB Trader
    I will only stock and supply a proper CRL switch because anything else isn’t worth it for a standard switch. Especially when it costs the same to install so for a couple of quid more you might as well have the one that feels good and will last longer

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1 said:

I generally buy either from Axecaster or Six String Supplies, depending what else I might be buying/ stock availability at the time.