Godin classical got punched

What's Hot
MaverickMaverick Frets: 23
I didn't think i was that bad at guitar, but a drunk punched it while i was playing. The top has split in two or three places. 800 year old Canadian wood apparently.

It's the La patrie presentation model.

Any idea of the cost of getting it fixed? It retails for £899 now (seems to have gone up a lot in price from a few years ago)

1reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    I hope you punched the twat right back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Hang on…more of the story, please!

Sounds traumatic!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 59
    I have no idea what fixing that might cost, I'm just sorry to hear that it happened. 
    I like Godins, they make great guitars. Very under appreciated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    Looks like it's mainly split along the grain, so standard split repair and cleat should do it.  Some braces may need regluing too, and the bridge might need to come off to do all this.  It all depends how easily it all pushes back into place.

Can't say what most would charge for that, but it is definitely repairable and should be good once done
  • MaverickMaverick Frets: 23
    edited February 26
    WezV said:
    Looks like it's mainly split along the grain, so standard split repair and cleat should do it.  Some braces may need regluing too, and the bridge might need to come off to do all this.  It all depends how easily it all pushes back into place.

Can't say what most would charge for that, but it is definitely repairable and should be good once done

I've tried pushing it back from underneath but it won't budge, worst of the split seems to be where the brace is and if i try and force it, seems like i might do more damage. It's cedar wood if that makes any difference.
  • Hang on. What did you do after that bastard punched it?? That's a key part of the story! 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7439
    What the fuck?
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1120
    What kind of person punches a guitar?? FFS. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19515
    Classical audiences certainly aren't what they used to be...
    Sorry to hear about about your experience, where are you based? Might help in getting suggestions for a suitable sympathetic luthier to fix it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Criminal damage, get the bell end done and pay for the repair (with luck)!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8874
    edited February 26
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Hang on. What did you do after that bastard punched it?? That's a key part of the story! 
    "A&E confirmed that it was first time they've ever had to removed a vibrato bar from someone's rectum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    edited February 26
    Maverick said:
    I didn't think i was that bad at guitar, but a drunk punched it while i was playing. The top has split in two or three places. 800 year old Canadian wood apparently.

It's the La patrie presentation model.

Any idea of the cost of getting it fixed? It retails for £899 now (seems to have gone up a lot in price from a few years ago)

I know this story. Was it my dad? 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1120
    Hang on. What did you do after that bastard punched it?? That's a key part of the story! 
    "A&E confirmed that it was first time they've ever had to removed a vibrato bar from someone's rectum."
    ''At least, not one off a classical guitar. They'd done a couple of superstrats before, and a gretsch, said a spokesman'' 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    Hang on. What did you do after that bastard punched it?? That's a key part of the story! 
    I highly doubt it is
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    That's awful  :o I guess the drunkenness covers the "why?", but it's still awful...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Take a Telecaster next time. If punching it fails to hurt the arsehole enough to make him regret it, the guitar hitting the back of his head will.

Joking aside, that’s a shitty thing to happen. A long time ago some idiot karate-kicked my guitar at a bar gig, which luckily was a Strat - he made contact with the tremolo arm so all it did was go drastically out of tune for half a second. Unfortunately I was looking across at the drummer for an end-of-song cue exactly when it happened, or I would have grabbed his foot and upended him. No idea why he did it, other than alcohol and being a moron.

Your guitar does look repairable by a good luthier, but it won’t be that cheap - are you insured?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well... not much of a story. I punched a door instead of my dads face. Now i think my hand is broken...
    No guitar playing for a while. It's only been 3 days and I'm already driving up the wall.

First time i played that classical all year. It was completely mint and i rarely play it as i didn't want to bash it.

I'm usually a strat guy as well :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emailed a few places about repair, yet to hear anything. Will be in the Herts,beds,bucks area