Fair prices for 60s Burns and/or Baldwin guitars

There isn´t much on the market at the moment, therefore eBay and google aren´t of much help.

What would you consider a fair price for a mid 60s Burns Split Sound in pretty good condition and/or it´s Baldwin counterpart?
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14821
    Paging @HarrySeven ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    edited February 27
    Interested in this.

I've just been given a Baldwin 706 which is in need of some work (worn frets, divots in fretboard, stripped neck bolts, pots). 
    I'd be interested in whether it's worth investing the cash.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    Have you got any pictures of the Burns you can post ?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    The difficulty (as ever) is striking a balance between items which have *actually* sold and those which are simply priced speculatively or over-priced due to a not-necessarily accurate, but perceived shift in value (for instance, in the well-documented instance of Yamaha SGs).

I’ll freely admit that I’m not a huge vintage Burns fan - IMHO, they belong to the “look cool, idiosyncratic, don’t-play-great, variable-quality” school of home-brew, garden shed UK manufacturing. I also don’t really get the prices they appear to command (although vintage, nostalgia-infused elderly Burns fans, which, I suppose, like the Hank Marvin brigade, won’t be around much longer), but I digress…

Over the past year, I’ve personally seen examples of Burns/Baldwin Split Sound with asking prices anywhere between £550 - £1100, with the top-end of that scale (£900+) primarily on Reverb. I’m sure I saw one end at £750 at GH not that long ago. IIRC, even well-known “price-optimists” TML don’t appear to have exceeded £900.

@RustySpanner - the last Baldwin 706 I saw sell was again at GH - nice condition, with case @ £180.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• The difficulty (as ever) is striking a balance between items which have *actually* sold and those which are simply priced speculatively or over-priced due to a not-necessarily accurate, but perceived shift in value (for instance, in the well-documented instance of Yamaha SGs).

I’ll freely admit that I’m not a huge vintage Burns fan - IMHO, they belong to the “look cool, idiosyncratic, don’t-play-great, variable-quality” school of home-brew, garden shed UK manufacturing. I also don’t really get the prices they appear to command (although vintage, nostalgia-infused elderly Burns fans, which, I suppose, like the Hank Marvin brigade, won’t be around much longer), but I digress…

Over the past year, I’ve personally seen examples of Burns/Baldwin Split Sound with asking prices anywhere between £550 - £1100, with the top-end of that scale (£900+) primarily on Reverb. I’m sure I saw one end at £750 at GH not that long ago. IIRC, even well-known “price-optimists” TML don’t appear to have exceeded £900.

@RustySpanner - the last Baldwin 706 I saw sell was again at GH - nice condition, with case @ £180.
    Thank you, you’ve helped me resist the urge. I guess, if at all, I’ll get a Burns or Baldwin as a souvenir next time I visit the UK.
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.