PA/ FRFR speaker size…which to get

What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 840
edited March 2 in Digital & Modelling
I’ve got a one off gig coming up in June for my sisters wedding, where I’ll be playing in a 5 piece band (Vocals/ guitar, guitar, bass, keys, drums) and I’ll be going through a Valeton GP200 modeler. Currently, I have no plans to gig anytime soon after this, though I’d maybe quite like to do the odd one or two dep slots or something.

For the wedding, I suspect there may be a requirement for some quiet music to be played around the venue before the rest of the band turns up later on with the full PA, so I’m thinking a Bluetooth would be handy so currently looking at the Alto TS4** speakers but I’m not sure which size is going to do the job best. I have no idea either yet, but I wonder if something may also be needed to amplify speeches.

Taking Amazons pricing, the TS408 is currently £268 and the TS410 has a bit of a price jump up to £338, but is the slightly bigger speaker ‘better’ for guitar to be pushed through it, or would the 8” be fine. It’s only going to be as on stage monitoring for my guitar (all vox/ instruments will be going through FOH). The 12” is only £349 which seems very well priced, but overkill for my needs?

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24698
    Get a used Yamaha DXR10 instead.

Far better in every way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 840
    Yeh? I’ll take a look…a (very quick) glance shows none currently for sale second hand that I can see. Are they (a used one) priced in roughly the same ballpark at the Alto’s new?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited March 2
    New, the DXR10's are probably around twice the price of the Altos but they're far, far superior in every way.

I did a gig a couple of years ago where the singer brought his full Alto PA - subs, tops, monitors, etc. and it was awful. Gutless and thin sounding. The audience kept asking us to turn up when the rig was running as loud as it would go before descending into screaming feedback.
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 66
    If you can't find the Yamaha used and if just for monitoring and playing some background music whilst waiting for the full PA to turn up you will be fine with Altos. If it's like any wedding I've been to no one cares what music is playing in the background during the day. Everyone is too preoccupied. At night the crowd will hear the full PA - only you and the band will hear your monitored sound really. Whatever you get, get the biggest you can afford so you have some power in reserve. If a one off, buy used so you won't lose much when you sell it on. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    I’m selling a pair of Yamaha DXR12 with covers and stands. I’ve owned them from new (2017) for use by my band that has now folded. They were only ever used for keys and vocals I.e. never been thrashed. I live in Kent, am looking for £600. Haven’t placed an ad in For Sale here as I hadn’t event considered it for offloading a P.A.
    exocet said:
    I’m selling a pair of Yamaha DXR12 with covers and stands. I’ve owned them from new (2017) for use by my band that has now folded. They were only ever used for keys and vocals I.e. never been thrashed. I live in Kent, am looking for £600. Haven’t placed an ad in For Sale here as I hadn’t event considered it for offloading a P.A.
    Thanks for the heads up, but I’d only be after 1 and unfortunately nowhere near Kent.
  • supessupes Frets: 185
    Although they're cheap I'm using a Behringer B208. They're light, small, and after going through loads of far more expensive FR's for modellers, the B208 is the one i'm using at home and to gig. I go direct to PA for main sound and use it as monitor on stage, but have also used it for main sound in smaller pubs. 
    I know Behringer get a bad press, but it's worth considering for what you need. 
    supes said:
    Although they're cheap I'm using a Behringer B208. They're light, small, and after going through loads of far more expensive FR's for modellers, the B208 is the one i'm using at home and to gig. I go direct to PA for main sound and use it as monitor on stage, but have also used it for main sound in smaller pubs. 
    I know Behringer get a bad press, but it's worth considering for what you need. 
    Hmmm…they are a good price...very interesting. The B210 is still well priced too…

Off to Google some more reviews
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4770
    edited March 13
    I gig with Headrush FRFR108. Typically one out to audience, one as a monitor. Sounds great, unbelievably loud ( I typically don't need the volume over half way) but essential to get these off the floor hence I pole mount the audience facing one.  Here's a live clip:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3153
    I would suggest you have a look at the Bose S1pro, pricey I know but as a handy little speaker awesome. This is because it has Bluetooth, has on board battery, trapezoid design so works as a wedge, 3 channel mixer on board with reverb, sounds great as an acoustic amp just plug in and go, works well with modeller and plenty loud enough. I keep mine in the sitting room  as the sound is as good as my hifi and just switching it on and running my playlist from my phone is so easy
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Voxman said:
    I gig with Headrush FRFR108. Typically one out to audience, one as a monitor. Sounds great, unbelievably loud ( I typically don't need the volume over half way) but essential to get these off the floor hence I pole mount the audience facing one.  Here's a live clip:

Aye…that sounds alreet! Something like that would be ideal. I think the Alto is the same thing but rebadged?

I would suggest you have a look at the Bose S1pro, pricey I know but as a handy little speaker awesome. This is because it has Bluetooth, has on board battery, trapezoid design so works as a wedge, 3 channel mixer on board with reverb, sounds great as an acoustic amp just plug in and go, works well with modeller and plenty loud enough. I keep mine in the sitting room  as the sound is as good as my hifi and just switching it on and running my playlist from my phone is so easy
    Yep…that would be a great option, especially for the wedding if it was needed to be moved around…but alas, too spendy for me at the minute
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2444
    I can HIGHLY recommend the QSC CP8.

I've used them with my Axe FX 3 and FM9, and they're pretty damn awesome. I've had various FrFr speakers through the years, and these are brilliant for monitoring or as a backline.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    I’d recommend the Yamaha DXR10 Mk2. 

Preferred it to the 12” DZR when running my FM9 through it. 
    FarleyUK said:
    I can HIGHLY recommend the QSC CP8.

I've used them with my Axe FX 3 and FM9, and they're pretty damn awesome. I've had various FrFr speakers through the years, and these are brilliant for monitoring or as a backline.
    That’s the second time this one’s been recommended to me…I’d not even considered it before but I shall do some more digging on this. Again, it might be out of my (very limited) budget, but I am selling an Epi LP and a Mono M80 Dual so I may have some additional funds….
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4770
    Voxman said:

Aye…that sounds alreet! Something like that would be ideal. I think the Alto is the same thing but rebadged?
    Pretty much the same speaker unit. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Update…I’ve managed to pickup a Headrush 108 as a friend/ old band mate randomly put up for sale on FB marketplace yesterday. Getting it for a decent price so with my budget as it is, it’s too good to turn down.

However, he said he’s also putting a Fender FR12 up for sale if I was interested so I just hope he doesn’t demo them both when I get there as I suspect the Fender will be quite a bit better!
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Nerine said:
    I’d recommend the Yamaha DXR10 Mk2. 

Preferred it to the 12” DZR when running my FM9 through it. 
    Should add that I think a 10” speaker actually sounds a bit more focussed for guitar use when using FRFR cabs. 12” sounded too bottom heavy to me. Much less low end roll off on a PA speaker than a guitar speaker. 

The 10” driver seems to be a sweet spot IMO.