Boss delay minefield?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16341
    https://youtu.be/acS6lySfQU8?si=LizbDEpLTh84oJRe

All the current Boss delays. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27662
    I generaly avoid delays without tap. Why wouldn't you want that? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2340
    edited March 4
    I generaly avoid delays without tap. Why wouldn't you want that? 
    Agree - Once you tap, you never go back.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72981
    I almost never use tap tempo, I find it unnecessary and I don’t like the sound of it except for deliberate Brighton Rock impressions. Worse, the RE-20 has the incredibly annoying feature that if you do use it, you can’t return to the preset delay time without manually moving the delay control - no matter how slowly you tap or hold the pedal down or anything. I’m literally likely to sell it because of that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    I have a DD5 which I bought new, it's the delay I always go back to. If i were in the market today I'd go for the DD8 as it has more features
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 423
    I like analogue delays, so the DM-2 wins for me. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 676
    I had a long-chip DD-2 for a while, but it didn’t play nice in the FX Loop of my JVM. I can’t recall exactly why, but there was a technical explanation. Someone much more cleverer than me should be able to advise.

Just a wee watch-out.

Also, I had a DD-500 for a while and I loved it. Sounded ace, but I had a lot of trouble with the MIDI on the pedal. I was using a Morningstar MC-6 controller, and it just wasn’t fully compatible for reaching the higher banks. Morningstar didn’t know, and none of the forums were able to help either. I had to give up with the MIDI.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 819
    I have the DM-2W which I love, but I still really fancy a DM-101 at some point, in the hope that with all the extra features and longer delay time it hasn’t lost what makes the DM-2W so awesome. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5211
    I was using a Morningstar MC-6 controller, and it just wasn’t fully compatible for reaching the higher banks. 

How high up the banks did it become a problem? I'm guessing over 127 where you have to start repeating CC numbers and adding MSB/LSB messages?

If so, only an issue if you need over 127 different delay presets...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1062
    Don't think you can go wrong really, it's more about analogue v digital and what features you want. I was really impressed with the extra features on the later DD types (7 & 8). They look very similar to the earlier ones but there's quite a lot extra going on, especially if you connect an expression pedal. Worth checking out the manuals on those.

I had the DM-2w and really liked it. I only sold it because I realised I prefer Analogue delay with a little bit of modulation, but I thought the delay sounds were great.

'Boss delay minefield' by the way sounds like one of my anxiety dreams after spending too much time on the fretboard. 
    I was using a Morningstar MC-6 controller, and it just wasn’t fully compatible for reaching the higher banks. 

How high up the banks did it become a problem? I'm guessing over 127 where you have to start repeating CC numbers and adding MSB/LSB messages?

If so, only an issue if you need over 127 different delay presets...
    Yes, but because there are potentially 3 presets per bank depending on setup of the DD-500, and each preset had its own MIDI value, it didn’t quite work out like that. I can’t recall what the problem was exactly now as it’s been a few years. 

I also know that I couldn’t use the MC6 to turn on/off the presets, I could only use it to scroll through banks. I then had to use the footswitches on the DD-500 to turn on/off
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31098

Gassage said:
    MIJ long chip DD2. 

The DD2s and early DD3s had a different chip than later models which apparently is less harsh, more desirable and therefore these pedals are attracting higher prices. 

The early runs shared the chip with the SDE3000. 
    Boss made a loss on them but wanted to be in the game, so a loss leader (confirmed by Boss themselves)

The chip inside is a remarkable one and can be tweaked to do so much more than it does in the DD2

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 929
    ICBM said:
    I almost never use tap tempo, I find it unnecessary and I don’t like the sound of it except for deliberate Brighton Rock impressions.
    This 100% I'm looking after an OBNE Black Fountain for a friend, used it for some demos last night. Tried the tap tempo for a while, but as soon as I just twisted the time knob, instantly happier.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    DD3T
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 327
    DM-2 & DD-2/DSD-2 make a really nice pair.

DD3 is a no-brainer for the cost you can grab on at 2nd hand. Although, I got a lot of use out of the JHS Lucky Cat - basically a dd delay with single time knob & tap.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    edited March 5
    I've got a DD-2 that I bought new when they first came out. Yes, I'm that old and it probably cost about the same as a terraced house in Sheffield at the time. 

It's always seemed great but it's just a plain, vanilla delay. I'm sure a more recent DD-variant would be much more useful with stuff like tap tempo, tape emulation and suchlike. I certainly wouldn't be paying lots more for an old one.
    edited March 6
    As previously mentioned, the analogue mode on the DD-7 is pretty stellar, and I could not replicate it on the DD-500.

There was something magical about the DD-7
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3735
    Yep.. I have a DD200 but the DD7 is on the main gigging board.. with a tap button.  Just right.  Analogue mode is spot on.  
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 551
    DD-7 is my main gigging delay for decade or so, it's great and bomb proof. Though I'd like 8 for warp.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 931
    I have a DD3T, DM2W and RE2, they're all good for different things.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/