Peavey Bandits,

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    ecc83 said:
    ICBM, you say none of the speakers in the Bandits are really good. What IYO would be the best replacement and I assume 8 Ohms? The guitarist in son's trio has snaffled his Peavey but he should be getting it back soon and I would like to get it sounding as good as possible.  Neo would be an advantage.
    Eminence L’il Texas - I’ve got one in my Studio Pro 112, it sounds even better than the Line 6 Celestion G12P-80 I had in it before. The 80W output of the Bandit rules out the Creamback Neo unfortunately, although the Jensen Tornado Classic might just be OK - Jensen ratings aren’t very conservative, even though it’s rated for 100W.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    edited March 5
    Thank you IC, I perhaps should have indicated my son's genre requirements? Wide but embracing mainly jazz styles I would say. He might get asked to do Queen covers and Beatles but I doubt he would ever get into screaming Death Metal! He does NOT like very loud sounds.

Hmm, I might risk the Creamback Neo for him? He ran a bass through the amp for many weeks (i day a week!) and I made him very well aware of the damage that could cause. It has survived so he can be a very careful chap if needs be. Maybe a 16R Neo and keep the original IF serious noise needs to be made?
    Just seen, the lil Texas is a Neo. They claim a very high sensitivity which is not needed. Is the Creamback better?
    Dave.
    ecc83 said:

Just seen, the lil Texas is a Neo. They claim a very high sensitivity which is not needed. Is the Creamback better?
    Eminence exaggerate their sensitivities by around 3dB compared to Celestion - I wouldn’t say it’s any louder than the 98dB G12P-80.

The Creamback might still be more suited for jazzy sounds and Queen though - it has very little real top-end, the Eminence is definitely more scooped.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1640
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

Eminence exaggerate their sensitivities by around 3dB compared to Celestion - I wouldn’t say it’s any louder than the 98dB G12P-80.

The Creamback might still be more suited for jazzy sounds and Queen though - it has very little real top-end, the Eminence is definitely more scooped.

Great thanks, when he gets the amp back I shall ask him what he would like to do with it. My feeling is he will go for the Creamback Neo.

Dave.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5025
    silver stripe. HM2. Job's a good'un. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    I never thought I would even keep my Freecycle donated '93 Transtube some 18 months ago, let alone use it nearly everyday I sit down to play guitar. It is remarkable in the clean/light boost setting and is quiet and in excellent condition (although it looked like had a hard life previously until buffed up!) I don't use the distortion chn as I get the level of tones similarly through a pedal or two.

Still has the stock Sheffield speaker and the better for it. It doesn't sound Solid State in tone at all. Big and open and 80W if you want!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    A lot of love for 80s SS Peaveys round here!
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 151
    How do they sound turned down to in the house levels?
    I've been curious about them for ages and a couple have come up for sale locally 

Ian
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1526
    inewham said:
    How do they sound turned down to in the house levels?
    I've been curious about them for ages and a couple have come up for sale locally 
    They sound pretty decent. Voicing wise I still prefer my DSL40 or my AC15 by a mile, but when you start to factor in cost and potential maintenance... 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 247
    I’ve had a few teal, silver and red stripes over the years, however I think I like the newest version the best as you can set it up as a three channel footswtichable amp making it perfect for pub gigs, it takes a bit of dialling in due to the various voicing switches and reverb is noisy though which is annoying. I don’t think you can go wrong though with any of them, consistently crop up for bout £50-100 so less than a nice drive pedal. 
    edited March 10
    longshins said:
    I don’t think you can go wrong though with any of them, consistently crop up for bout £50-100 so less than a nice drive pedal. 
    That is something I’ll always find hard to stomach. I had to shift my Bandit to make space for another bed, and got two pedals (from a very generous person) in exchange for it. In terms of ‘real value’, it would have been just one pedal. For an amp with spring reverb, a decent speaker and footswitch. 

Need not say that market prices feel incredibly illogical to me. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1976
    edited March 10
    I had a Peavey Studio Pro (Silver) but sold it when I came across the Yamaha JX - Both are great and in the same price range, but the JX was lighter and warmer/more balanced in tone.
    I think they *were* in the same price range. Peaveys are not sexy for some reason. 

• relic245relic245 Frets: 963
    longshins said:
     I don’t think you can go wrong though with any of them, consistently crop up for bout £50-100 so less than a nice drive pedal. 
    Yep i have one sitting here doing nothing. For what I can get for it it's not motivating me to go through the hassle of selling it. 

It's currently a nice shelf. 

If I ever finally do decide that i will absolutely never use it again I'll probably give it to a school's music department. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3624
    With all the hype around them I am surprised they dont sell for more, there are quite a few asking prices on EBay that reflect the hype then there are some very different sold for prices that dont.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    It seems quite remarkable that the going rate for just about any Bandit, no matter how old, and regardless that they've become continuously - and now considerably - more expensive to buy new, is... about £100. That makes a second hand current-generation one a huge bargain, if if you think (as I do) that they've become a bit overpriced new now.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3624
    ICBM said:
    It seems quite remarkable that the going rate for just about any Bandit, no matter how old, and regardless that they've become continuously - and now considerably - more expensive to buy new, is... about £100. That makes a second hand current-generation one a huge bargain, if if you think (as I do) that they've become a bit overpriced new now.
    Ive seen a fair few sell for half that, granted they have been a bit grubby around the edges, perhaps its not the amps fault and more that peoples perception of a desirable looking amp doesnt include Peaveys, they arnt pretty to look at, not even the new ones.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:

Ive seen a fair few sell for half that, granted they have been a bit grubby around the edges, perhaps its not the amps fault and more that peoples perception of a desirable looking amp doesnt include Peaveys, they arnt pretty to look at, not even the new ones.
    I really like the red stripes visually - I think the plastic end pieces look like something you'd find in an Art Deco cinema - and I don't get why people think they're ugly at all. The silver stripes are a bit boring, the older ones look a bit 'industrial', and the new ones really are not nice to look at though...

Peaveys are NOT desirable. 
    Let’s keep it that way. Please. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1508
    I had one and they are phenomenally loud.