Best strings for telecaster?

What's Hot

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 664
    Do all brands make different types of strings? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited March 5

D'Addario NYXL....

Long lasting, bright sounding.   I used EXLs for ages, then switched to ernie Balls, and have used their cobalt series (better).  Ive also used Elixiers but the NYXLs are the best Ive tried.  Got to be 10s though whatever the strings.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    Kurtis said:
    Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 5
    Philly_Q said:
    Kurtis said:
    Big ones, small ones, some as big as your head.

Sorry, let me rephrase that. Do all brands make their own strings that are different to other brands.

Whenever there's a discussion about strings it usually comes down to the brand rather than any "type". 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    OK Boomers. GHS I've never tried. I use Newtone round core strings whenever I need roundwound strings. 
  • tonystone82tonystone82 Frets: 0

D'Addario NYXL....

Long lasting, bright sounding.   I used EXLs for ages, then switched to ernie Balls, and have used their cobalt series (better).  Ive also used Elixiers but the NYXLs are the best Ive tried.  Got to be 10s though whatever the strings.

yeah these are the ones I’ve just ordered so I’ll post my experience of them once I’ve played them in on my custom tele. Of course 10’s are the ones that I’ve used for 25 years so they’re my go to, besides if you change gauges you then have to do a whole new set up again!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    Strat54 said:
    Still using Gabriel Tenorio Super 10's on mine. 
    Bingo.

Best strings Ive ever used.
  • jonahjonah Frets: 0
    D addario E.B super slinkys or premo slinkeys 9.5 gauges but labella 9 are nice
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Elixir, because my sweat is almost as toxic as my personality.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Gabriel Tenorio for me, too. It was Super 10s for a while, but now it’s the short wind Nickel Puro in 9s.

That’s on a G&L ASAT.
  • manimani Frets: 10
    Rotosound 11-48 nickel ‘reds’ on my custom Tele with r/w board. Prefer 11’s on Telecasters suits me just fine.
  • Mr_ClawMr_Claw Frets: 94
    Matt_McG said:
    Gabriel Tenorio for me, too. It was Super 10s for a while, but now it’s the short wind Nickel Puro in 9s.

That’s on a G&L ASAT.
    Would love to try GTs, but I've just moved to NZ and there's no availability here. Thankfully I can still get Pyramids. 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 263
    mani said:
    Rotosound 11-48 nickel ‘reds’ on my custom Tele with r/w board. Prefer 11’s on Telecasters suits me just fine.
    Interesting how things vary. I tried some rotosound yellows once, based on a recommendation. They were off the guitar in under 5 minutes. Abso-ferkin-lootely awful. 

I know I have a lot of iron in my bloodstream but these were like I suddenly developed magnetic fingers. Nasty.

These days it's GHS boomers on everything. 10-48s on the strat/tele. 10.5-50 on the Les/Epi dot.   
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    Ernie Ball for me, 10' s on the Tele and 9' s on the strat.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I always used Ernies for years but for a while I found they were coming out of the pack already rusty. Been mostly using Daddy’s ever since, but I just put a set of Pyramid 10s on my new Tele build and they sound and feel really good. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    @Wazmeister @Matt_McG Do you guys buy direct? What's the shipping costs like? I bought a stash of them from James Home of Tone when he was stocking them but he's stopped now and my supplies are dwindling. Cheers.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I always used rotos on my Tele. pickup hight is much more important
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited March 7
    I use Elixirs on everything.  I wouldn't put different strings on a Tele.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    @Strat54 ;

I buy direct. Shipping is a flat rate of $16 USD. In fact, I just placed an order a few days ago as I wanted some lap steel strings, too. Delivery times are a bit variable. 

Looking at my order history in my emails, the last set I ordered, it took about 4-5 weeks for them to be dispatched after I placed the order, and the two orders before that it was about 3 weeks each from when I placed the order to them shipping.

Luckily, the strings last forever with the amount I play—and I'm not hard on strings anyway—so I place an order for 3 or 4 sets once a year, and I'm good.
    edited March 7
    I've not changed strings for years and they still sound fine.

I think all this changing strings every couple of weeks is a fairly modern phenomenon. People used to change strings when they broke.

I remember asking my dad what strings he used on his guitar when he was younger. He said he didn't know they were on it when he got it  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom