Who's made the leap from HX Stomp to FM3?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4428
edited March 5 in Digital & Modelling
...and what was your experience? Interested in views of learning curve, sound quality, amount of stuff you can do at once etc. My use-case is almost entirely studio based through monitors or phones, and using it as audio interface as well as tone generator.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25048
    Is the FM9 passive cooled?

I know their racks are fan cooled (which is why I refuse to have one - the noise does my head in) - but I don't know about the FM9.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• LewyLewy Frets: 4428
    edited March 5
    Is the FM9 passive cooled?

I know their racks are fan cooled (which is why I refuse to have one - the noise does my head in) - but I don't know about the FM9.
    Woah...I meant FM3...need to change title!!

Actually I'd be the same - wouldn't want a fan going
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 211
    Yup I did. Learning curve I didn’t find too bad, the deeper you go, the more it can do but out of the box it’s a definite step up quality wise (sound and build)

My chain is comp -> distortion -amp -> cab ->reverb -> delay -> eq and it has no issues at all. I have more complex patches for recording.

theres hopefully and update to the firmware soon which is looking like a game changer (check out the fractal forum if you’re interested) 

it’s a fair bit bigger than the stomp, just to be aware in case you’ll be desk mounting  it :-) 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8900

I know their racks are fan cooled (which is why I refuse to have one - the noise does my head in) 
    The fan in my AxeFX III doesn’t worry me. It’s barely audible. Much quieter than my powered speaker, or my tinnitus for that matter.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrleon83 said:
    Yup I did. Learning curve I didn’t find too bad, the deeper you go, the more it can do but out of the box it’s a definite step up quality wise (sound and build)

My chain is comp -> distortion -amp -> cab ->reverb -> delay -> eq and it has no issues at all. I have more complex patches for recording.

theres hopefully and update to the firmware soon which is looking like a game changer (check out the fractal forum if you’re interested) 

it’s a fair bit bigger than the stomp, just to be aware in case you’ll be desk mounting  it :-) 
    Super helpful, thanks. Is there a fan and if so what’s the noise like?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    edited March 5
    Lewy said:
    mrleon83 said:

Super helpful, thanks. Is there a fan and if so what’s the noise like?
    The fan spins for 3 seconds at start up and is never heard again on my FM9. Its temperature controlled, so never seems to spin up in the UK.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1579
    Fm3 owner here. Only fans on startup.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    nero1701 said:
    How much do you charge? 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    nero1701 said:
    How much do you charge? 
    For you, Free xx
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25048
    I've just seen the FM3 Turbo is £1200?

Blimey. I thought that was about where the FM9 was, and that the 3 was plenty cheaper.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

I bought a used Fm3 std. £800 if memory serves.

I have no need for any more power. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 623
    I've got both an FM3 and an HX Stomp. I'd echo what has already been said. The fan on the FM3 only spins on start up- I've never heard it kick in any other time.
    The Fractal interface is not as intuitive as Line6 but the more you use it, the easier it gets. 
    The Fractal offers a FAR greater depth of tweakability IF you want it but you don't have to deep dive to get great sounds. I'd highly recommend the Cooper Carter masterclass - it's not cheap but I found it to be a really worthwhile investment for learning how to get the most from the FM3.
    Based on my personal experience, the FM3 is a more capable unit and I do think it sounds better. I like the fact that it's powered via a mains IEC cable rather than an adapter too. None of this should detract from the capability of the HX Stomp though - it's still a very, very good unit and much more compact but if I had to pick one at gunpoint, the FM3 would get the nod.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the responses, all. Very helpful!
  • pvdmacpvdmac Frets: 16
    I have both HX Stomp & FM3.
    I bought HX Stomp first…it’s a fantastic unit….but….for me the FM3 is of superior quality.
    starting with the build…when placed side by side…the HX Stomp looks like a toy….as the FM3 is build like a tank…I think the reverbs etc sound fuller/bigger….to my ears anyway…again…not taking anything away from the HX Stomp..as I said it’s a fantastic unit…but I would take the FM3 over the HX Stomp.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 221
    I've used both Helix LT and now have an FM3. I had the Helix on loan for a couple of months.

My 2p is that they are both really good.   Think it's easier to get a good sound from the FM3, with less tweaking.   That could be because the presets in Helix land are total mince   The Fm3 presets are a really good starting point.

The variety in fractal land is just incredible tho.    Your imagination is the limit.