345 rewire

What's Hot
ollychiltonollychilton Frets: 77
edited March 5 in Guitar
I’m looking at having the varitone taken out of my ‘68 345. It’s currently got wired mono so the original loom is long gone.

My question is, can I cut out the varitone without removing the whole loom?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited March 5
    Being wired mono doesn’t mean the original loom has to have been taken out, only the jack needs to be rewired - so it may or may not be. No need to replace it to remove the Varitone either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ollychiltonollychilton Frets: 77
    ICBM said:
    Being wired mono doesn’t mean the original loom has to have been taken out, only the jack needs to be rewired - so it may or may not be. No need to replace it to remove the Varitone either.
    I spoke to the previous owner who said he changed the whole loom when it was rewired. Thanks for the info on the varitone! 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3757
    Why?  It can be wired into bypass and mono so it has zero effect on the tone.
    I never use the varitone! It’s a lot of dead weight for something not in use to me! 
    edited March 6
    Mine is similar vintage. It might depend on how it was rewired.  Mine had a proper mono rewire which changed the position of the choke/varitone after the pots but the original wiring used both sides of the choke and came earlier.  Might be safer to pull lot and put standard 335 wiring in.  Some mono rewires just changed the socket to mono but that caused a loading which kills some top end on an original wired varitone.  Like a half job.  Be good to know what the current wiring is.
  • PennPenn Frets: 678
    I know I’m controversial but I like the varitone. It does the BB king sound well obviously but it’s quite good fun to play with and use for other sounds. It even sort of does the thin tele sound if you play about enough. 
    Also - show us your 345 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    I never use the varitone! It’s a lot of dead weight for something not in use to me! 
    Bypass it - Even when it is on position 1 (the zero bypass mode) it is still in the loop - The bypass is not a true bypass - When you actually 'take it out of the circuit' you'll instantly know and hear what I'm saying - So much more clarity and life

I did a restoration a few years ago, on an early 60's ES345 and actually took it off altogether and just put a 'dummy' pot + knob in the hole to cover it up  

I know a next potential buyer of a 68 ES345 might be more interested in it still been part of the guitar - But as you don't have an original loom etc then I wouldn't get hung up about it - I'd rather buy a good player grade 68 ES345 than an all original but 'poor' example with regards to its feel/tone/playability etc 
    Thanks for all the info guys! 

Here’s a link to a pic of the 345 with a 67 smuggler tele. Sorry I’m not sure how to embed pics! 

Thanks for all the info guys! 

Here’s a link to a pic of the 345 with a 67 smuggler tele. Sorry I’m not sure how to embed pics! 

Nice… Snap.. like mine but no Bigsby

Pure filth.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1217
    I believe they're quite heavy, any idea of the actual weight of the varitone assembly?

Also, and sorry for a mild hijack, do modern varitones weigh as much as the vintage ones?

I have a 2015 '64 345 reissue and, while I don't mind the varitone, it would be interesting if it would make the guitar a bit lighter without it. It still has the chunky, metal block component attached to the back of the guitar (is this the choke?) that looks like it might weigh quite a bit.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I believe they're quite heavy, any idea of the actual weight of the varitone assembly?

Also, and sorry for a mild hijack, do modern varitones weigh as much as the vintage ones?

I have a 2015 '64 345 reissue and, while I don't mind the varitone, it would be interesting if it would make the guitar a bit lighter without it. It still has the chunky, metal block component attached to the back of the guitar (is this the choke?) that looks like it might weigh quite a bit.
    Not sure if modern ones are much different in weight. But they can add about a pound onto the weight! The modern ones are different in that position 1 is true bypass, so you just get the sound of the actual guitar open! The vintage ones are always in the circuit.

Penn said:

Pure filth.  ;)
    Thank you sir!! 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2586
    edited March 7
    The varitone switch, choke and shielding cans on the old ones altogether weighs about 3/4lb, like putting an extra Bigsby on the guitar basically. Not sure how heavy the newer ones are
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    Cool guitars ^^ ! 
    elstoof said:
    The varitone switch, choke and shielding cans on the old ones altogether weighs about 3/4lb, like putting an extra Bigsby on the guitar basically. Not sure how heavy the newer ones are
    That’s crazy! I’m looking forward to getting this one out, it’ll be way more usable for me! 

Kurtis said:
    Cool guitars ^^ ! 
    Thanks a lot! :)