SEAGULL S6 ORIGINAL

What's Hot
dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
I think there is a lot of love for the SEAGULL S6 ORIGINAL but it is still relevant in 2024 -  personally i would not buy a new one for that price in the UK ,  because i think the guitar specs lack a bit behind other models , and then there is the glued neck which is in the newer model  ,  Just wondering what other people think about this guitar ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 790
    I picked up this old one used for not a lot. Love it through I would have loved to find a cedar top one to try. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/259517/nagd-seagull-coastline-s6-2007#latest
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    They are nice, but have competition from Eastman, Taylor & on the lower end Blueridge, Yamaha etc

It really depends on your personal taste and how it sounds in the shop.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5464
    Always wanted to try one, never had the opportunity. Using epoxy is a major sin, but just the same, I'd love to try one out.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    They are great guitars and a good workhorse, however the headstock is fugly which affects what people think of them! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    …however the headstock is fugly which affects what people think of them! 
    Funny enough it’s something I find particularly stylish and it was the subject of unsolicited approval from #3 son (shredhead) when we saw one in a shop the other day.

No accounting for taste.
  • Nick23Nick23 Frets: 2
    Bought mine secondhand as a learning guitar a year and a half ago. The cedar top is particularly soft it seems, but it's been a trusty steed. I'm interested in getting a solid wood dreadnought now to carry on. I'm ok with the headstock, more important is the sound which I regularly manage to make it sound bad lol. 
    I don't have much to compare it to, but it's been good and fun.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Actually the headstock is very well thought out. The strings exit the nut straight to the winding pins. Does this constitute an improvement or is it just a meaningless design feature? And cosmetically, I agree, it interferes with the aesthetics of the traditional guitar shape and looks a little unbalanced. 

Obviously a good and very popular guitar.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    I don't object to the headstock - it's minimalist but non the worse for that. 
    (This from someone who commented unfavourably on a headstock in another recent post).

We'll have to wait for a definitive view from Bertie... =)

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 209
    I was very close to buying an older cedar S6 in a local shop last year, I liked the wide nut and dry, woody sound, and preferred it over quite a few more expensive instruments. They have a definite utilitarian, nothing-fancy kind of feel about them, but in a likeable way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    My housemate at uni had one. I didn't love the neck width but it sounded decent, was affordable, and was the sort of guitar that you could use in pretty much any situation from gigging to an open mic to busking on a street corner.
    I considered one when I was looking for a decent but cheap acoustic, but ended up preferring the neck on my Furch, which was about the same price at the time.

At the price it's not far off competing with the cheapest European and American offerings, and you can get some nice all solid far eastern guitars at that price too
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    I wonder if Seagull have ever thought of models such as the JL (Jonathan Livingston) or the George? Maybe even the CRB model (chip robbing barstewards.)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom