Pickups

What's Hot
Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10591
I'm after the following pickups, all to go in the same guitar, which is routed humbucker - single coil -  humbucker. 

P90 for neck but in humbucker format 

Normal single coil strat type for middle

Humbucker for bridge but one that taps to single coil so I can get the Knopfler inbetween sound 

What I'm trying to do is get a range of sounds that can cover pretty much everything. Can anyone recommend any that might play well together through one volume pot ?
www.2020studios.co.uk 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1510
    I'd talk to Ash at Oil City or Marc at Mojo, depending on how you want to get things sounding.  They both have pickups that cover what you need, but with different magnets and windings to adjust the sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    edited March 7
    Danny1969 said:
    Humbucker for bridge but one that splits to single coil so I can get the Knopfler inbetween sound 
    Combining a single coil with a split humbucker only provides an approximation of the "in-between" sound.

On my Fender Performer Stratocaster, I use Seymour Duncan SSL-2 and TB-16 '59/Custom Hybrid.

@OilCityPickups can approximate this arrangement with their Route 66 and The Creature models.

I do not know which Mojo designs work the same way.

For greater realism from the middle + split bridge pickup combination, consider the OCP Brass Knuckle.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader
    For any split I'd also recommend a partial split resistor fitted as well. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    I don't think you need to worry about the volume pot value- you can use resistors to make sure most of the settings "see" the right value.

How important is the in-between setting? If it's more important than the humbucker setting, you can get humbuckers with one rod magnet coil and one more humbucker-style coil. I've tried Gemini's version (well, one of them, he has about 5 different models!) and it's very, very good. It taps the rod magnet coil in the humbucker setting so the rod coil doesn't overpower the screw/humbucker coil. There's probably still a little compromise in both settings, but it's very close.

But if the humbucker setting is more important, I'd just get whatever humbucker you originally wanted, and put up with the in-between setting, and use a partial split resistor like @OilCityPickups said. It's not as good as a Strat, but it helps a fair bit. And you have the genuine unadulterated humbucker sound.

You could also maybe get a tap on the neck pickup for a very underwound P90 sound so it combines better with the middle pickup too (and sounds more like a Strat pickup when on its own)? That may well be overkill, though. And I've never tried that myself, I'm not sure how well it'd work... to my ears you would need to go below standard P90 output, even high-6K output still sounds more or less like a P90 in the neck position, just a bit clearer-sounding and less nasal.