Pick-up is weak.

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
Just bought a strat off the forum. 

Noticed the bridge PUP was quiet. Tested it with a multimeter. Neck and middle are 5.7 and the bridge is 4.1. 

Haven’t taken the pickguard off yet, but any thoughts on what it could be, and hat I should look for? 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2243
    Found the issues. Broken wire and a cold soldier joint. Time to get the soldiering iron out :) 

Nope. Now the neck and middle are reading 5.8 and the bridge 4.4 at the jack. 

So measured the pups directly. Bridge is only 4.4. 

Is this an issue with the bridge pickup or is it normal that they are this much weaker? 

Pickups are Radioshop MB60’s. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader
    Shouldn't be that much weaker. It's got an issue. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks. Paul at Radioshop has been really good and offered to take a look for me. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    edited March 8
    5.8k is typical for vintage style single coils. 

For modern expectations, it is desirable that the bridge position pickup should have approximately 20-25% more output. i.e. 7-9k. 

Your reading of 4.4k would be within the range for a stacked coils, noise-cancelling pickup that has one disconnected or defective coil. 

One other thing that might make the pickup read 4.4 is being connected in parallel with a second pickup. There could be a defect on your selector switch. Inspect the little sprung leaf connectors. 

A quick and simple test to eliminate the selector switch from enquiries would be to temporarily disconnect its white conductor from the switch. If the pickup still reads 4.4k, the selector switch is not responsible.

Finally, there is the vexed issue of what to do about the offending pickup. IMO, it would not hurt to contact the seller by PM to discuss the matter.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks, I’ve tested directly at the pickup, and it is 4.4 so that should confirm it’s the pickup and nothing else. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    Do you happen to know what make/model pickups those are?  What were they advertised as?
    I’ve spoken to the builder and it is not right. They have offered to look at them for me to see what’s wrong.