Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    Damn, was hoping I could submit a claim....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
    I'm a bit confused about what this actually is - it's called "nut compensation", but in the description it talks about placing it in front of the saddle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    edited March 8 tFB Trader
    I have Earvana compensated nuts (fnar fnar) ... on two of my guitars, soon to be three ... and when I can afford it all of them that don't have locking nuts. You really don't know what you are missing till you've tried one ... the Hosco thang looks like a less permanent ... and probably less precise alternative. 

I can't recommend the Earvana nut highly enough, partial chords up the dusty end using open strings in the mix ... ringing clear with no nasty 'phase beating'. If I built guitars for a living I'd fit them as standard.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1377
    I have Earvana compensated nuts (fnar fnar) ... on two of my guitars, soon to be three ... and when I can afford it all of them that don't have locking nuts. You really don't know what you are missing till you've tried one ... the Hosco thang looks like a less permanent ... and probably less precise alternative. 

I can't recommend the Earvana nut highly enough, partial chords up the dusty end using open strings in the mix ... ringing clear with no nasty 'phase beating'. If I built guitars for a living I'd fit them as standard.  
    Amen, Brother Ash. I got an Earvana installed on my Les Paul when I was getting it refretted. It sounds noticeably sweeter than any of my other guitars.

Anyway, I have one of the Hosco things on the way. For 12 quid, you can’t go too wrong and in the demo video it makes a noticeable difference.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3510
    Earvana do not make compensated nuts for acoustic guitars that would fit my instruments. 

There is a guy here who makes them to order, but they aren't cheap (I imagine it must be a lot of work to do though!)

https://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/custom-made-bone-guitar-nuts-Chris-Alsop-Guitar/compensating-bone-guitar-nut-PN008

I've got a few guitars with erratic intonation that drive me crazy, one day I will get one of those compensated nuts.