7 string NGD

What's Hot
elstoofelstoof Frets: 2585
A few itches scratched with this one, as I’ve not had a 7 string or a PRS or an extended scale before. Been toying with the idea of a 7 for a while, the Majesty was a contender but I’m not crazy about floating trems, then this popped up on my radar and ticked a lot of boxes

First impressions are pretty good!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    Is that a Mark Holcomb?  Making me second guess because I always thought his sig was black flame, not blue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4389
    I still have yet to try one, but I can see a 7 or 8 string in my future.

Lovely guitar. 

Enjoy!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 681

Jest aside - HNGD!

I've not tried the new pickups that are in these new models so interested in what they sound like. The 20" radius is sublime and should be on all guitars really!
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2585
    Ah, I stay well clear of the FS forum, too dangerous for me! Great looking top on your one, good luck with the sale
    Is that a Mark Holcomb?  Making me second guess because I always thought his sig was black flame, not blue.
    Yeah, they changed to blue for the current model, along with some slightly lower output Duncans with covers rather than open coils
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    I tried a7 stringer at the guitar show and whilst it was fun I kept getting lost which string I was playing. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2476
    This is the newest iteration, launched last year. Changed from the raspberry/purple to grey "Holcomb burst" to this blue burst and changed to his new Scarlet/Scourge pickup set, which are a bit lower output than his previous Alpha/Omega set.
    Tim
    elstoof said:
    Ah, I stay well clear of the FS forum, too dangerous for me! Great looking top on your one, good luck with the sale

Well hopefully you are the matchmaker with @CHRISB50 :)

Don't forget to report back on the pickups once you've had a good play of the thing!
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1303
    elstoof said:
    Yeah, they changed to blue for the current model, along with some slightly lower output Duncans with covers rather than open coils
    I must say it looks much nicer than the previous iterations.  And I prefer lower output covered HBs even for heavy genres.  Congrats!  
    elstoof said:

Well hopefully you are the matchmaker with @CHRISB50 :)

Don't forget to report back on the pickups once you've had a good play of the thing!
    His guitar is the wrong way round for me! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Balls - we've had this conversation already and senile me forgot!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Nice!

I got my first 7 a little while ago. I'm still getting to grips with it, but it's very comfy.

Pickups need changing though. At some point in the future when I have some money.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Balls - we've had this conversation already and senile me forgot!
    :lol: 

No worries mate. 

Has a very quick play through some Waza Airs, first impressions:

haven’t got a bloody clue what I’m doing with 7 strings

the pickups sound like they’re going to be immense through a proper amp

the neck is lovely, mainly play Gibsons with thicker necks and don’t feel right with skinny ones, this is a touch shallower than a “59” which seems to work well with the extra width

26.5” scale length isn’t as much of a shock as I was expecting
    edited March 8
    elstoof said:
    Has a very quick play through some Waza Airs, first impressions:

haven’t got a bloody clue what I’m doing with 7 strings

the pickups sound like they’re going to be immense through a proper amp

the neck is lovely, mainly play Gibsons with thicker necks and don’t feel right with skinny ones, this is a touch shallower than a “59” which seems to work well with the extra width

26.5” scale length isn’t as much of a shock as I was expecting

Agreed - the jump from 25.5 to 26.5" is barely noticeable. One of the reasons mine is for sale is the neck - but then my main guitars are EBMM Majestys so clearly I'm not a thicker neck kind of player...(Edit: Mark has humungous hands so the neck dimensions do reflect this a bit)

There are two ways to approach adding the 7th string. Personally I treat it like a different instrument although that is a mental compartment because strings are strings and frets are frets - I tend to play differently and different material on the 7 and don't try to play it like a six with an extra string. This also prevents the dreaded one string riffing compromise that can sometimes end up being the go to move. It does mean though that I find it hard to play stuff I learned on the 6 on teh 7 because my muscle memory is in the wrong place. If I just played 7s that would disappear within a week or two.

The second approach is to tune the G string up to G# and treat it like a standard tuned down to B with an extra high string - tuned how you see fit - could be unison the the B, leave it at E, a third at D...

Some players prefer this as a starting place because you maintain all of your existing chord shapes and patterns just shifted one string lower.
    Is the majesty a much thinner neck than this then? 
    Yes very much. It is a fraction narrower at the nut but thickness is dramatically different.

Nearly 2mm difference at 1st fret and just over 2mm at the 12th I reckon.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    edited March 9
    Here's a video of one of my fav 7 string guitar players, who inspired me to get a 7 string many years ago.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."