Advice on delays

What's Hot
NPPNPP Frets: 236
I've never had a delay - having lived through the 80s I'm a bit hostile to things like chorus, always-on delays, and guitars drenched in effects. 

However, I now want to try whether I may get on with delay after all. I've read up on types of delays out there - digital, analog, tapes, and pedals modelling tape echo. But I'm lost trying to figure out which specific pedals to check out, or look out for in the classifieds. I think I need some specific recommendations. 

I think I'd be happiest with a pedal emulating a tape echo but they seem to be expensive. I don't want anything that sounds like it's the 80s all over again, I'm not into ambient or U2 stuff. I'm happy with second-hand or a clone.

Any ideas what might suit me? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For simplicity and price I reckon a MXR Carbon Copy may be worth checking for a starting point.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Maybe a Visual Sound Axle Grease for a cheapish analogue voiced delay.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Second hand TC Electronic Flashback (there are plenty about). 

Loads of delay options so you can experiment and decide what you like first hand, and they're easy to sell on again without losing much (or anything).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    +1 on the Flashback or Alter Ego - stonking for the money (circa £70-£90 used)

• Completely forgot about the flashback.  A really good shout.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    not_the_dj;394041" said:
    Second hand TC Electronic Flashback (there are plenty about). 

Loads of delay options so you can experiment and decide what you like first hand, and they're easy to sell on again without losing much (or anything).
    Or the Digitech Hardwire one which has similar options and a basic looper.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    Flashback or alter ego is a good shout, but I have to ask, if you don't want ambient or 80's or U2, what DO you want..?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It's got to be a TC - so much versatility it's ridiculous. The Hardwire DL-8 is good too, but lacks in both sound quality and flexibility compared with the TC delays.
    <space for hire>
  • Another recommendation for the TC Flashback.

Really good sound quality, simple controls and, with the Toneprint functionality, access to every flavour of delay from rockabilly slapback to ambient soundscaping over-indulgence.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    seems like I'll have to look into the Flashback then - thanks everyone!
    Flashback or alter ego is a good shout, but I have to ask, if you don't want ambient or 80's or U2, what DO you want..?
    some mild classic rock sounds, Hendrix, 50s slapback, that sort of thing

• a bit left field but the Danelectro Reel echo is worth a look 2nd hand. 
    Its under £50 and it does most of the tape stuff 

Personally I would lean towards the alter ego over the flashback
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • NPP said:
    seems like I'll have to look into the Flashback then - thanks everyone!
    some mild classic rock sounds, Hendrix, 50s slapback, that sort of thing

RE-20 Space Echo'll do those easily enough, if you find one used. Probably a bit expensive for a new one if you're not likely to use the multi-tap and whatnot. I tend to use the single head modes with the tap tempo for the most part.

The virtual tape display is rather wizzy though :)

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    For that kind of sound you dont really need long delay times, I'd check out a mooer ana echo or a way huge aqua puss.