Brutal......

What's Hot
andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
Kind of, HOSTEL, for guitar aficionados.
No hint of Gaffa here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    Gave up watching about half way through. The guy gives plenty of attention to detail but, for me, this misses the point.

Having a replica of a famous guitar is no guarantee of being able to replicate the playing of its famous (former) owner.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1747
    Is it blues lawyer cosplay stuff?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 455
    Never really got the concept of relicing. Kinda like the pointless side of tone chasing. Copying someone else's road wear so your new guitar looks kinda like someone else's old guitar isn't going to make it sound any closer to what/who you are trying to emulate. Apart from maybe taking away the worry about dinging your new £10K plank and spoiling the shine I can't see the benefit. File it alongside wonderbras in the false advertising category.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    edited March 9
    Dunno what you’re hearing @snowblind but I knocked my tele off a wall and chipped the paint and I heard the tone palpably increase in quality by 1%. 

It’s just basic science. 

Really though, I don’t understand how some people even naturally get that kind of wear on their guitars. I’ve had some of mine for a long time and never babied them, and there’s barely any hint of any wear to the paint at all. The metalwork yes, but the bodies are almost pristine except some dings I know about. Some people’s guitars look like they throw a handful of pennies in their case with the guitar and shake it up. I’ve not had much experience with nitro, all mine are poly finishes, except a parts tele I horrendously sprayed myself with nitro. The finish is definitely weaker, but definitely not fragile if you know what I mean. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    Gave up watching about half way through. The guy gives plenty of attention to detail but, for me, this misses the point.

Having a replica of a famous guitar is no guarantee of being able to replicate the playing of its famous (former) owner.
    snowblind said:
    Never really got the concept of relicing. Kinda like the pointless side of tone chasing. Copying someone else's road wear so your new guitar looks kinda like someone else's old guitar isn't going to make it sound any closer to what/who you are trying to emulate. Apart from maybe taking away the worry about dinging your new £10K plank and spoiling the shine I can't see the benefit. File it alongside wonderbras in the false advertising category.

Sure it's not yous that are missing the point? 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 455
    Could well be. There's plenty of other things which seem pointless or irrelevant to me but which millions of others invest entire lives into. Humans eh?
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    I'd imagine most people just think it looks good rather than thinking it will improve the tone or make them sound like someone else.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I haven't seen this guy's videos before, but his YouTube channel says:

"I am a professional muralist, restorer and luthier. My twenty years of experience in art and restoration of ancient art, I apply in guitar building. Here I publish the processes of my work on the creation of clones of PAF pickups, painting and relic guitars.

As far as I can see he's not saying anything about replicating someone's playing or claiming the finish will change the sound of the guitar.

It seems to me he's just doing something he enjoys.  I don't see that it's any more "pointless" than making new, shiny guitars, or building them out of unusual materials, or whatever.  He's setting himself challenges and figuring out the processes to arrive at an end result he's happy with.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2586
    His pickups are well regarded too