Anyone bought a guitar from the EU since Brexit?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2517
I've been looking for a particular FSR American Ultra Telecaster, and it's not in stock anywhere in the UK that I can see.
However, I've found one in stock at what looks to be a pretty big French retailer.

Since Brexit is this a massive pain/not worth the hassle, or have people bought guitars with no issues?
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    I've been looking for a particular FSR American Ultra Telecaster, and it's not in stock anywhere in the UK that I can see.
    However, I've found one in stock at what looks to be a pretty big French retailer.

Since Brexit is this a massive pain/not worth the hassle, or have people bought guitars with no issues?
    Should not be an issue - Is it new or used as that might create additional costs - If it is new then technically you don't pay French vat/tax, but you pay it in the UK, so bottom line is about the same - But if it is used, prior to Brexit there was no additional tax/vat to pay on used gear, but now vat is applied to your purchase price when it arrives in the UK - Works the other ay around as well, if/when I sell a used guitar into the EU

As such used sales into the EU, for me anyway, are not just about obsolete 

But new, just pay the dealer in the usual way and all should be fine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    edited March 9
    I noticed from your WTB that you are in Belfast, so still in the EU VAT regime.
    I too am in GB's EU outpost.
    I bought a guitar from the Netherlands and paid VAT in the Netherlands. No VAT or import on arrival.
    I would advise checking with the supplier because there is still some difficulty for retailers and couriers working out the correct treatment.
    I had agreed to sell the guitar back to the dealer but he backed out because he could not get confirmation that he would not be charged VAT becasue the guitar was coming from a UK address.
    Some retailers have given up on selling to GB and NI because of the confusion. 
    We can still sell into the EU without VAT so used sales from NI are approx 20% cheaper then selling from GB.
    I haven't looked at it too much but I don't think either Reverb or eBay can cope either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    I noticed from your WTB that you are in Belfast, so still in the EU VAT regime.
    I too am in GB's EU outpost.
    I bought a guitar from the Netherlands and paid VAT in the Netherlands. No VAT or import on arrival.
    I would advise checking with the supplier because there is still some difficulty for retailers and couriers working out the correct treatment.
    I had agreed to sell the guitar back to the dealer but he backed out because he could not get confirmation that he would not be charged VAT becasue the guitar was coming from a UK address.
    Some retailers have given up on selling to GB and NI because of the confusion. 
    We can still sell into the EU without VAT so used sales from NI are approx 20% cheaper then selling from GB.
    I haven't looked at it too much but I don't think either Reverb or eBay can cope either.

didn't know that - what a mess
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2517
    @bacchanalian yes I'd previously bought smaller things from the EU and put my address down as "Belfast, Ireland" which meant things were delivered via Dublin which kept things simpler.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 924
    With that guitar, the retailer managed to address it to Donegal rather than Donaghadee.
    Within a day the guitar was an hour's drive away over the border, was shipped to Sligo and then ended up in England for 6 weeks while UPS scratched their heads.
    If you have any friends in Muff or Drogheda get it shipped there.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Buying a new instrument post-Brexit should be tax-neutral:
    • You don't pay VAT in both countries; the EU price should be tax-free and UK VAT is payable.
    • Import duty is still payable (for items not EU-manufactured), it's just visible.
    • Courier VAT is still payable, it's just visible.
    The gotcha is:
    • If the seller isn't geared up for EU-UK sales and they don't do the tax admin, then it's left to the courier to sort it on arrival in the UK and they'll charge you a £20(is) admin charge.
    It's personal sales which got hit - they're now subject to VAT and duties.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Ive not bought a guitar but live board a few synths, lots of studio equipment, and lots of generally stuff (inc high value items).

Its not a problem at all.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1377
    I’m currently trying to recover VAT I was charged by anpost for a purchase from a shop in NI. Apparently Royal Mail have started sending everything posted in NI to the UK for sorting … I paid it as I thought it was something else I had been expecting. The VAT amount didn’t even correspond to value of the item.

This is only my fourth time purchasing from the UK and getting delivered to the ROI since Brexit, and the third issue I have had with creative VAT calculation, almost like a value was arbitrarily assigned to the delivery (someone did a quick google looking for similar items and went from there). 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1302
    I bought a Harley Benton from Thomann not long ago. Nothing different compared to when I bought one from them pre Brexit. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    edited March 9
    2 x pruchases from Thomann - just same as before - not even a VAT hike...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Used sales and even gifts are subject to VAT. If a French friend wanted to gift you a guitar you would have to pay 20% of the value on delivery.
    We in Northern Ireland are unique in that we are in both VAT regimes. The Windsor Accord has made some changes but I don't know the details.
    So, my French friend could send me a guitar and it would cost nothing.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12521
    57Deluxe said:
    2 x pruchases from Thomann - just same as before - not even a VAT hike...
    Some people are going to be sooooooooooooooooo disappointed to hear that...  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2885
    edited March 9
    Bought from Thomann too and no issues or difference from buying from a UK retailer. May as well have been Amazon or Tesco.
    Seriously cheap too. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 608
    I would imagine many many members have bought Harley Benton guitars from Thomann sincebrexit, LionAquaLooper and 57Deluxe don't seem to have had any problems buying new gear. I can't see any problems really.
    Maybe if you was importing in great numbers then it probably make a difference,the government would think you were running a business and would want their cut.
    I had my fill of VAT and INCOME TAX. So glad it does not apply to me now. At least I am not collecting it for them now.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2885
    Maybe a stupid question but why would lots of people buy Harley Bentons - is that something to do with Brexit or a tax loop hole? 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1302
    edited March 9
    For the record my Harley Benton purchases had nothing to do with pre or post Brexit. In fact Brexit doesn't even factor in whenever I buy anything in general anyway!
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 553
    Maybe a stupid question but why would lots of people buy Harley Bentons - is that something to do with Brexit or a tax loop hole? 

Because they come with free Rolex now.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7360
    Harley Brexits
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2402
    Thomann does all the work regarding VAT etc. for you. That may not be the case (probably won't) with a lot of other EU-based retailers, especially the smaller ones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom