Using 3rd party midi controllers with the H&K Switchblade...

gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
edited October 2014 in Amps
Anyone done this? As it stands with the supplied controller you can only store whole amp settings as patches and recall them. You can't for example switch delay off or on within a patch. I'm wondering if you can get this flexibility with a different controller...or not?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I used a Roland FC-200 and FC-300 and sadly they only did the same as the original footswitch.

As far as a know and can tell from the service manual it is not possible to acheive what you hope for.
  • Yeah, I contacted H&K and they confirmed as much. Apparently the Grandmeister is the next evolution of the Switchblade where every parameter is midi controllable. I did read in the manual that you can use a standard 2 button footswitch to switch the fx on and off within a patch and switch the loop on and off so that is probably enough flexibility for me.
  • Although...DV247 have my one back at the moment and were going to send out the replacement tomorrow...I could upgrade to the Grandmeister for £200 more. Not sure if it's worth the extra...plus it's EL84 as opposed to EL34. Smaller & neater though and has the red box and full midi capabilities. And a noise gate. No midi controller included though.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    If I was in the market for or could justify getting similar I would pay the extra for the Grandmeister because to me it is really the succesor to the Switchblade.

It is so much better features wise/update wise and from owning a Tubemeister you will not be dissapointed woth the EL84's.

If the FX can be turned on and off etc via MIDI and responds to MIDI CC's then something like a Behringer MIDI controller with the aftermarket chip/chips would allow for that as well as just using it for patch changes.

The official foot controller is rxtra and not cheap at about £120 from thomamn.
  • I can highly recommend the GrandMeister, it is a cracking little amp, ridiculously versatile.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• I didn't decide what to do in time so they have shipped the replacement Switchblade...tbh I'm not sure about the Grandmeister. It's a very different thing from the Switchblade - compact 36 watt EL84 head as opposed to big 100 watt EL34 head. I've not tried one but have had reports that it is very bright and I really don't like bright. I used to have a Trilogy and I found that a bit ice-picky and I'm wondering if the Grandmeister would be similar.

Given the Switchblade is so cheap I think I'll give it a proper go and see how it works for me.
  • Replacement Switchblade arrived as I was leaving for work. The box was a bit the worse for wear so I'm hoping the contents are ok :(

I love getting new amps. :)