Bloodstone Guitarworks - WOW!

What's Hot
NCoNCo Frets: 168
edited March 10 in Guitar
Just thought I'd share my experience with David as it has been nothing short of perfect.

I first stumbled upon David’s work through a forum discussion on wiring looms. In that thread, I posted my preference for purchasing the electronics and doing the wiring myself. After seeing multiple posts praising his quality and service, I decided to give his website a visit. The value for money, especially considering that the price included treble bleed mod and first-class postage was too good to pass up, so I took a chance on him.

Reaching out to David about needing a loaded pickguard minus the pickups, he explained he doesn’t offer these due to several reasons but suggested an alternative. He offered to assemble my parts free of charge if I mailed them to him, including any pickups. Despite my offer to pay extra for his service, he wouldn’t accept it. Impressed by his offer and prompt communication, I sent over parts I bought online along with some pickups I had, which had aged covers. David seamlessly replaced these with the pickup covers I provided, and fully assembled the pickguard, again refusing compensation for his additional work.

Within a day of receiving my parts, David had the fully loaded pickguard ready and posted. It arrived the next day, wired to absolute perfection. The quality of the components and his workmanship surpassed all my expectations. Throughout this process, David’s email responses were quick, friendly, and incredibly helpful. His professionalism, customer support and the quality of his wiring are genuinely the best I’ve encountered.

For anyone considering guitar customisations, I cannot recommend David from Bloodstone Guitar Works enough, a rare find in today’s world.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    :-)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NCoNCo Frets: 168
    edited March 10
    Yorkie said:

It's mainly your fault, your comments tipped the scale. Now I need to build a partscaster!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2402
    I haven't tried his looms, but his pickups are great, and really good value as you said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 233
    That is some tidy wiring!

Every time I've wired something up, I've been delighted when it works, never mind how it looks  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    NCo said:
    Yorkie said:

It's mainly your fault, your comments tipped the scale. Now I need to build a partscaster!
    Then it’s Dave’s fault as well, because he is the one who mentioned Bloodstone to me. @Dave_Mc see what you’ve done? 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29192
    That does look lovely work.

There's a really weird bit on the site about matching volume and tone pot values though:
    current (pickup signal) always finds the quickest path to earth, so if the volume pot has a value of 273K and the tone 227K (within normal 9% tolerance), no current will flow through the volume until its value drops below that of the volume pot. This could mean that 18% ( almost a fifth) of the pots range of adjustment is rendered unusable
    That's not how electricity works. If you have a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor in parallel, some of the current still flows through the 10k resistor.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 11
    Sporky said:
    That's not how electricity works. If you have a 10k resistor and a 1k resistor in parallel, some of the current still flows through the 10k resistor.
    That bit is clearly incorrect. It would be great if he removed it. 

Plenty of guitars have 500k volume pots and 250k tone pots. Or vice versa, depending on what the pickups are, I guess. 

Even more hilariously, unless they’re perfectly matched, only one pickup would work at a time if wired in parallel! 

Yorkie said:
    NCo said:
    Yorkie said:

Then it’s Dave’s fault as well, because he is the one who mentioned Bloodstone to me. @Dave_Mc see what you’ve done? 
     =)
    Yorkie said:
    Sporky said:
    That bit is clearly incorrect. It would be great if he removed it. 

Plenty of guitars have 500k volume pots and 250k tone pots. Or vice versa, depending on what the pickups are, I guess. 

Even more hilariously, unless they’re perfectly matched, only one pickup would work at a time if wired in parallel! 
    Yeah that bit doesn't sound right at all. I haven't tried a lower value tone pot with a higher value volume pot (IIRC @ICBM says it sounds a bit crap), but a higher value tone pot with a lower value volume pot sounds just fine, pretty much the way you would expect- just a little brighter, sort of half-way to a no-load. 
    edited March 11
    I think a chunk of my message got deleted when I edited it. I was saying that, if that were true, a 500 and 250 combination would render one of the controls useless for half of its range. And, even more hilariously, pickups wouldn’t work in parallel unless perfectly matched sunglasses 

His looms and pickups are excellent and very fairly priced, and I don’t think they need snake oil as one of their ingredients. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29192
    I'm not knocking the product, and if you've got two tone or two volume there may be benefit in matching them, just that one blog bit is off.

As you all were. :) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Yorkie said:
    His looms and pickups are excellent and very fairly priced, and I don’t think they need snake oil as one of their ingredients. 
    Yep agreed.
    Sporky said:
    I'm not knocking the product, and if you've got two tone or two volume there may be benefit in matching them, just that one blog bit is off.

As you all were. :) 
    No worries, it's definitely worth pointing stuff like this out. Blind fanboyism doesn't help anyone! :)