Cash on pickup on EBay Yes or No? is it safe?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 463
Toying with the idea of selling my Electric on EBay what are your opinions on cash on pickup? Or should I stick to payments managed by EBay? FYI I won’t be posting the guitar just collection only.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    The buyer gets a QR code, you scan that on your eBay app when they collect. So in theory, you’re safe. 

I’ve done it twice now, once via eBay payment and once in cash. Personally, I’ve not had any issues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1615
    I sold a guitar on eBay and the chap paid cash on collection. It was all fine. I couldn't work out how to pay the eBay fee, but they never asked me for it. I guess the thing with cash on collection is you might get the hagglers who want some cash off? So you need to stand firm. I tend to overthink things but as I said my experience of both buying and selling cash on collection have be 100%.

I'm not sure what happens if you let ebay manage the fee and then they report it as not being right etc. I'm sure someone with have experience on this. I was happier with cash as once you have it in your hand they can't get it back... (Assuming they haven't just run it off on the printer at home :) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12058
    edited March 10
    I've done it, but one time the buyer cancelled the sale after I picked it up and gone home! It doesn't matter too much in terms of I got what I paid for since I was able to check it over before paying, the PRS SE One but it seems like his way to avoid the fees. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 725
    markblack said:
    I sold a guitar on eBay and the chap paid cash on collection. It was all fine. I couldn't work out how to pay the eBay fee, but they never asked me for it. I guess the thing with cash on collection is you might get the hagglers who want some cash off? So you need to stand firm. I tend to overthink things but as I said my experience of both buying and selling cash on collection have be 100%.

I'm not sure what happens if you let ebay manage the fee and then they report it as not being right etc. I'm sure someone with have experience on this. I was happier with cash as once you have it in your hand they can't get it back... (Assuming they haven't just run it off on the printer at home :) )
    You did well! Last one I sold for cash, eBay just took the fees from my bank account linked to eBay payments. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1999
    I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you use the QR code that ebay provide the buyer with. You  just scan that or enter it via keypad. Don't try gaming the system though to avoid fees. They might be expensive but they are running a business. If you are caught trying to do that they will probably charge you and then delete your account. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 463
    Great feedback all thank you 
  • If they use the collection code thingy then you’ll still be liable for the refund if they come back in a month or two and want their money back with some made up excuse. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91
    edited March 10
    If they use the collection code thingy then you’ll still be liable for the refund if they come back in a month or two and want their money back with some made up excuse. 

My understanding (with it in writing from eBay customer service) is once the collection code is scanned, there’s no come back because the item has been checked in person. 30 days ‘comeback’ only applies on shipped items.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited March 11
    Zapple said:
    If they use the collection code thingy then you’ll still be liable for the refund if they come back in a month or two and want their money back with some made up excuse. 

My understanding (with it in writing from eBay customer service) is once the collection code is scanned, there’s no come back because the item has been checked in person. 30 days ‘comeback’ only applies on shipped items.
    That’s good to hear.