Acoustic saddle nut?

dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
I wanted  to upgrade my saddle nut to bone ,  But then I just realised  the saddle is in two parts , I have a Takamine gn20 and it has one long and one short  piece.  I am  sure if this is just one big saddle that  has been  cut into two or it this is an actual type of saddle.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    It's an actual type of saddle, you can buy them in the correct sizes for a Takamine.

Depending on which version of the G series it is, you may need an even more specific type that the pickup fits directly onto, rather than being a flat strip under the saddle. If so, you need one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172351092251 - take the existing saddle out and have a look.

Not cheap, but there's a lot of work in making those.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dazzer22dazzer22 Frets: 44
    edited March 10
    ICBM said:
    It's an actual type of saddle, you can buy them in the correct sizes for a Takamine.

Depending on which version of the G series it is, you may need an even more specific type that the pickup fits directly onto, rather than being a flat strip under the saddle. If so, you need one of these - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172351092251 - take the existing saddle out and have a look.

Not cheap, but there's a lot of work in making those.
    I don't have a pickup on the guitar,  The saddle is  flat on the  bottom.  So it looks like a normal saddle but  cut .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    dazzer22 said:

I don't have a pickup on the guitar,  The saddle is  flat on the  bottom.  So it looks like a normal saddle but  cut .
    That makes it a bit easier and cheaper, but you still need the double saddle not cutting a single one - the two halves together are longer than one normal saddle, since they overlap slightly.

If you're making one from a typical plain blank you would be able to get the two halves out of one piece though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein