String gauge on Gibson v Fender

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
edited March 12 in Guitar
If I like 10-46 on Fender scale length, what should I get on Gibson scale length: 10.5 or 11? Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    I use the same on both. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    10-46 on a short scale can feel and sound fantastic, I would give it a try as you’ll probably have spare sets lying around. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1302
    Best to experiment. I use 9s on 22 fret strats and 24 fret PRS types but 10s on LP style guitars. Will totally vary from person to person. 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 684
    Bending strings can be an issue with eleven and above, if bending strings is your thing.
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1497
    I'd keep to the same gauge and accept the difference in feel as being part of the character and playing experience of each type of guitar. They SHOULD be different.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11145
    tFB Trader
    A while ago I had a real thing for using 10-52 - namely D'addario light top/heavy bottom on shorter scale guitars. I may even go back to that on my new Gretsch: it gives a percussive and powerful bottom end while keeping bendability.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    Personally, having tried guitar specific gauge setups, I now use the same gauge (hybrid 9-46) on all of my guitars, regardless of scale length.  I buy my strings a minimum of 5 sets at a time and there's never an excuse not to change a set when it's needed.

I did recently re-string my Rickenbacker (24 3/4" scale) with 10's and I couldn't change back fast enough.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    If I like 10-46 on Fender scale length, what should I get on Gibson scale length: 10.5 or 11? Cheers
    Off course a matter of opinion - Your set-up, action height and how you like to play (light touch or heavy) will all come into play

For a while now I've moved up to 10.5-52 from 10's - But that is mainly on PRS Guitars - Not so sure I'd use 10.5's on a Strat - However I do like a 52 on a Strat (use 10-52) gauge - Lower thicker wound strings give more meat when you handle those SRV style walking/shuffle bass lines - Strings are more rigid - Regular 46's can sound out of tune with heavy picking, as though the initial pick contact bends a more 'slinky' string at the initial point of contact 

Try 10-5's on the Gibson - Might need a slight truss rod tweak, but let the guitar settle down first then evaluate any neck relief a few days later
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    I've experimented quite a bit with having 10s on Gibson scale, and 9s on Fender scale. But in the end I've just fallen back into 10s on everything. Makes buying strings simpler. 

I've got some 11s on one guitar, but that's because it's tuned to C# for Sabbath shenanigans. 

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    edited March 12
    I'm a fan of heavy top skinny bottoms on 24.5 scales. Bass strings from a set of 11s, treble strings from 10s. Best of both worlds and really helps when you go to drop d which a standard 10 gets a bit floppy on.

I think EB calls them Hybrid Slinkys
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12521
    9-42 on both (and everything else).
  • I use 10-46 on  Strat and Les Paul, both..seems to work for me.11-52 on Jazzmaster.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    9-42 EBs on Gibson and 9-42 Newtone round cores on Fender scale length. They feel the same due to the round cores having lower tension.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• randellarandella Frets: 4386
    9-42 on Strats, 10-46 on Les Paul and 335. I've had my guitars long enough to know the feel of the necks blind, in the past I've found that small frets can make strings feel heavier than they are.

All sorts of variables - buy a few sets and experiment. Make sure to chop and change playing the Fender and Gibson guitars whilst you're doing it or one will feel familiar and the other like boiled spaghetti (or the other way around).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23711
    I use 10-46 on all scale lengths (well, regular Gibson, Fender and PRS, I haven't got anything short-scale or baritone).  I might go lighter eventually as I'm getting older and feebler.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2585
    I use the same whatever the scale, I expect and like the different lengths to feel different
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    elstoof said:
    I use the same whatever the scale, I expect and like the different lengths to feel different
    Yes after a lot of trial and error I decided I actually preferred my Fender scale guitars to feel a bit tighter.