Any love for the VG99?

SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 723
I have one with the floor pedal. I haven't used it in a while and thought I might dig it out while I've a bit of free time.

Any love? I used to like using it with my Parker Fly (with an ugly external hex interface). Good guitar modelling sounds, but never got into the effects or amp models that much. Not that they were bad, just that I never really played with the settings as much as I really should have.

Has anyone ever gigged with one?

One of the reasons I fancied it was to control MIDI synths - but I never quite got the technique down.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4216
    I always hankered after one or an older VG88, nice to have some extra tones to hand

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    I had an 88, then a 99
    99 is much better
    almost no usable amp sounds though
    I like the altered tunings the best, sold it in the end, since real guitars tuned alternately sounded much better
  • Quite liked mine, but the tracking wasn't good enough for my sloppy fingers. The amps and effects were ok, but the novelty wore off (as usual) and the hunt for new toys started again.

BTW - Have still got the PDS-10 stand somewhere, if you want it for gigging.

• MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited October 2014
    I had one but flicked it. Great on paper and for a bit fun but the midi generated sounds are not really good enough for performance or recording...as a guitar processor it was OK though
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    I have one. It's an amazingly powerful piece of equipment. I'm ashamed to say that I've only used it about a dozen times. Even so, I bought the new cut-down version, the Boss GP-10, when it came out and it's very much like a single-channel VG-99 in a much smaller, more gig-ready package. It's been getting a lot of positive reaction in Roland-user circles. It has its limitations but it's pretty cheap and can be used as a (slightly limited) multi-effects processor. From the sound of things, it might be the forerunner to the next version of the VG-99, which should be out in a couple of years.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24846
    I know Clarky had one in his rig for a while before he got Fractaled!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139

I've just bought one, very impressed so far. As usual the presets are best ignored/tweaked and new patches created.

xtrouble, I might be interested in the PDS-10 stand if the OP doesnt want it.

• I should certainly fish the thing out of the loft this weekend and decide what I'm going to do with it.

As for the PDS-10 - what do you want for it? I did have issue when I had it set up before with it being down on the floor ... might mean I'd use the thing more :D

I've managed to set aside some quality time this weekend where I have the house to myself to make as much noise as I like - a rare opportunity! VG99 will get some blasting :P
  • I should certainly fish the thing out of the loft this weekend and decide what I'm going to do with it.

As for the PDS-10 - what do you want for it? I did have issue when I had it set up before with it being down on the floor ... might mean I'd use the thing more :D

I've managed to set aside some quality time this weekend where I have the house to myself to make as much noise as I like - a rare opportunity! VG99 will get some blasting :P

The best I can find online is £78 delivered, so how about £55 delivered and pp fees paid (by you) or gift ? 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited October 2014
    I know Clarky had one in his rig for a while before he got Fractaled!

I still have it... still use it and love it.... great unit..

the amp modelling isn't anything like as good as the Axe... however, that don't mean you can't get great tones with it..

when you see the amp names in there that hint at something you know, like a JCM800 for example.. consider that it'll be "of a similar voice" rather than being "exactly like a JCM800".. so you'll know that your tone will be in the JCM800 ball park [which I've generally found to be good enough to make really good / playable / recordable tones with...

the Axe though ain't in the same ball park.. it has your street name, door number, and is sitting in your lounge in your fave armchair.. so it's a little more precise..

I toured my VG-99 many times.. reliable.. rock solid.. never crashed.. never failed..

and the MIDI control is [as you'd expect from Roland] flawless.. also, I still think the VG-99 editor is the best / most inutuitive editor out there..

I have the VG-99, FC-300 [which is awesome], VG-99 rack mounting kit, external hex pup, and the long cable..

I'm thinking of selling it all.. not cos it's not good, but best I need to fund a backup Axe [so that my reserve rig is the same as my main rig.. something I did not ever think about with the VG-99.. I never had a back up unit.. never felt the need.. it just seemed to be so robust and reliable.. the Axe though [as much as I adore it] seriously makes me feel the need to get a backup unit.. I don't trust it the same way as I trusted the VG..

play every note as if it were your first
  • xtrouble said:
    The best I can find online is £78 delivered, so how about £55 delivered and pp fees paid (by you) or gift ? 
    Thanks for that - having thought about it, I'm probably going to pass (given that I might end up selling my VG if I end up not liking it). I do like buying things though ... 

@dean2371  go go!