Help how to clean a EMG pickup

What's Hot
ValleyPro89ValleyPro89 Frets: 62
I got this old EMG 58 pickup, and its got these marks on it, I've tried to clean it with just normal cleaning wipes, and IPA with a cotton bud, just stuff that wouldn't harm the plastic, but it won't come off, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get these "marks" off ?
Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14782
    Depends upon what the pale patches are. Have you tried domestic anti-bacterial surface cleaner spray or mould/mildew remover?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ValleyPro89ValleyPro89 Frets: 62
    Depends upon what the pale patches are. Have you tried domestic anti-bacterial surface cleaner spray or mould/mildew remover?
    I don't know what they are sadly, it's how I received it, I did try anti-bac wipes and also isopropyl alcohol cleaner and made 0 difference :/ 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73074
    Try water first. I know that sounds obvious but I often forget and only remember after I’ve tried more than one solvent…

If that doesn’t work, try WD-40. Really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    And a little microfibre cloth. They're at least slightly made of magic.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    Amazing that the top of the pickup's got so dirty but the EMG logo's still intact!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    edited March 17 tFB Trader
    Water, a tiny spot of washing up liquid and a soft toothbrush. 

Looks suspiciously like jizz stains to me ... he must have really loved his actives :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    Looks suspiciously like jizz stains to me ... 
    Love when a difficult question is asked and an experienced member chimes in ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader
    KrisGee said:
    I restore pickups as part of my job ... you won't believe the stuff I see :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29170
    I look forward to seeing "Confessions of a pickup winder". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    KrisGee said:
    I restore pickups as part of my job ... you won't believe the stuff I see :-)
    Imagine being a laptop / iPad repairer :( 

On some plastics I find dashboard cleaner works well. When I was refurburbing ex corporate laptops we used that on the plastics, sometimes lightly rubbing with P1200 wet n dry first. 

A little oil can spruce plastic up too 
    www.2020studios.co.uk