Updated: Now new modeller day!Helix LT or Headrush for my first modeller?

What's Hot
strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2457
edited March 25 in Digital & Modelling
I'm seriously looking at going down the digital modelling route and reducing my number of amps, partly for the flexibility of being able to get more sounds out of a single unit, and partly because with small children sleeping when I've the time to actually play guitar I end up using headphones through an old line6 pod most of the time.

I'd need something that would sound good going straight into the desk in a live situation, so presumably need cab and mic modelling, but also need it to work at home with headphones.

Ideally I'd like to spend under £800, but would be willing to go used
Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    edited March 20
    We have a section for that

(moved)

Oh, and for what it's worth, it sounds like you want a Helix LT.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24456
    TBH they are all good, there's just difference in taste.

This post will be replied to by people claiming Kemper or Fractal or Helix or Neural DEFINITELY sound better than the others.

They are all right and all wrong. And they'll ignore the Boss stuff even though Nita Strauss, Dave Murray, Nuno all sound amazing with them.

I have a Helix and love it. I am sure I'd be happy with many of the others. Maybe not a Fractal as I hate fan noise so much it makes me want to kill kittens.

Try a few out. Do not underestimate the UI. Making cool sounds should never be a hassle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511

Try a few out. Do not underestimate the UI. Making cool sounds should never be a hassle.
    Yup. They can all make good sounds; the more important question is whether you get on with the interface. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2457
    I'm very much used to analogue gear so the simpler the better.
    I've a TC nova system which I use as a stand-in when I can't be bothered bringing my main pedalboard, but it's basically used as "set and forget"; I've maybe 6 main preset setups on it which I almost never adjust at all.

edited March 20
    Ok so I've had a look at a few details online, looks like it's basically between the Helix LT or Headrush Core/Prime/Gigboard.

I've discounted the Boss GT1000 on the UI, Kemper is too expensive and the screen on the stage version seems very basic and hard to read compared to rivals.

The Neural DSP Quad Cortex looks incredibly impressive, but is definitely overkill for me and nearly double my ideal budget.

Is there much to choose between the Helix LT or the Headrush?
    The Core has all the vocal processing which I don't need, the prime is a bit over budget, and the Gigboard doesn't have an expression pedal (though is cheap enough that I could buy one and still be comfortably within budget).

I'll amend the thread title to something more relevant..
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 152
    edited March 20
    The HeadRush Core doesn't have an expression pedal either, but you can pick a used one up for about 50. It does have a toe switch input which is quite useful. Even if you don't need the vocal processing it's always handy to have a mic available, at a gig or over a Skype call for example. I'm sure there's other use cases. Definitely go for the Core over the older Gigboard.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    The HX Stomp/ Stomp XL would be a lower cost entry point to the Helix ecosystem and more compact if that is a consideration.
  • Bats_Bats_ Frets: 78
    From experience, Helix is much, much better in every way than the Headrush options… don’t get caught up on the touch screen, it’s really not that good. 

Looking at what you have added above, the best option would be a Helix LT. 

Another option, Boss GX100. Absolute bargain at £450 new. 
    @Beexter I may be wrong but I'd read the HX stomp didn't have XLR output, which would be very handy as I'd intend to run that straight to FOH for live use
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    Helix LT is great. HX Edit makes creating and editing very easy from the outset, but it’s easy to do on the unit once you’ve got the hang of it.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    strtdv said:
    @Beexter I may be wrong but I'd read the HX stomp didn't have XLR output, which would be very handy as I'd intend to run that straight to FOH for live use
    It has balanced TRS jacks - electronically every bit as good as XLR.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    strtdv said:
    No, it doesn't have XLR outs but it does have balanced trs which can run straight to the pa. For live use, I typically run trs out to my own monitor and then XLR from monitor to pa as I don't use stereo live.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 20
    Beexter said:
    strtdv said:
    No, it doesn't have XLR outs but it does have balanced trs which can run straight to the pa. For live use, I typically run trs out to my own monitor and then XLR from monitor to pa as I don't use stereo live.
    Similar to Pod Go. A couple of short TRS to XLR adapter leads means you can then use standard XLR cables if you have a longer run. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Hey @strtdv . I’ve sent you a PM about a unit in our neck of the woods.  Paul
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9574
    Helix far superior in sound and UI than the Headrush, imho.
    @PFAllen2 I'd spotted that! He had it on hold within an hour of it going on sale but messaged me to say the guy never showed up so I'm hoping it's available again
    Well after finding a very well priced Helix LT on Facebook (the same one @PFAllen2 spotted) I'm now the owner of a Helix LT.

The price was too good to say no to, though after a very expensive month involving a custom shop fender and an 8 string I'll need to have a bit of a clearout
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24456
    strtdv said:
    Well after finding a very well priced Helix LT on Facebook (the same one @PFAllen2 spotted) I'm now the owner of a Helix LT.

The price was too good to say no to, though after a very expensive month involving a custom shop fender and an 8 string I'll need to have a bit of a clearout
    Lovely!

Jason Sadites has some excellent vids on youtube if you get stuck, or just ask on here.

Line 6 has a "Customtone" website where people upload their patches. Whether they are good or such depends a lot on what is being used to hear them, but there's some good layout options.

But before all that - make sure the firmware is up to date. 
    Yes they guy I bought it off had updated it just before selling it so all good in that regard.

There are lots of menus, though signal chain and effects adjustment is very intuitive, even on device.

My only question so far is whether it's possible to assign one of the footswitches to switch between 2 amp models? (As this would effectively let me run a clean and drive channel without having to duplicate blocks of effects etc)
  • Check out the very useful videos on the tube from our very own @JohnCordy ;too.