New Line 6 Catalyst CX range - but I'm a little confused.

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
edited March 20 in Digital & Modelling
The new range expands amp models from 6 to 12, effects from 18 to 24, and allows 2 effects (but inc reverb as one of these) rather than 1 fx plus reverb to be selected, so a little more flexible.  Still 2 channels.

But it appears existing Catalysts can be firmware upgraded to the same amp/fx spec.  So why would you spend £399 on a CX100 rather than £225-259 for the original Catalyst 100 mk1 - I feel like I must be missing something...anyone? 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4100
    Grey grill cloth
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    The new range expands amp models from 6 to 12, effects from 18 to 24, and allows 2 effects (but inc reverb as one of these) rather than 1 fx plus reverb to be selected, so a little more flexible.  Still 2 channels.

But it appears existing Catalysts can be firmware upgraded to the same amp/fx spec.  So why would you spend £399 on a CX100 rather than £225-259 for the original Catalyst 100 mk1 - I feel like I must be missing something...anyone? 

I expect the old ones are being discontinued.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 792
    Have the old ones inherited the 'any two effects' bit??
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10165
    I think you get more presets on the new ones?
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4100
    Are we comparing end of line pricing of the first Catalysts with the new CX RRP? I expect will probably come down a bit.
  • HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 22
    Have the old ones inherited the 'any two effects' bit??
    Yes, but that means that you can't also use reverb (unless there's a way round this).
    edited March 20
    Yeah so reverb is one of the two, I guess?

Edit: leant my Cat100 to a friend - will have to go get it back to try this out!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HumboldtHumboldt Frets: 22
    If you select two different effects the orange light on the reverb button is replaced by the colour code of the second effect that you selected.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited March 20

Edit: leant my Cat100 to a friend - will have to go get it back to try this out!
    Yup, as I explained. Before, you had a dedicated reverb plus 1 effect, now you have 2 effects, one of which can be reverb or anything else.  But the firmware update means you get this now on the older model too. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

Yup, as I explained. Before, you had a dedicated reverb plus 1 effect, now you have 2 effects, one of which can be reverb or anything else.  But the firmware update means you get this now on the older model too. 

I thought you were just talking about the new one in your post, @Humboldt clarified that it uses the reverb knob and led on the old model for 'effect 2'
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5646
    I've been comparing the old and new layouts and they look the same other than 'reverb' on the old one and 'effect 2' on the new one.
    It does make the older one a steal but having said that the new grey grill cloth looks far better to me and less Katana-ish