Anyone else noticed this about motorways?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28470
    edited March 22
    Danny1969 said:

I sometimes wonder if everyone is meant to keep in the inner lane and keep darting out to overtake and then dart back in ? ... seems crazy to me 
    That's essentially what the Highway Code says, though "dart" sounds a bit manic. You should be in the left hand lane unless passing slower traffic. 

It's changing lanes without appropriate awareness and observation that's the problem. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    I've noticed lots of dead Badgers ......
    I have never seen so much Badger road-kill as the last few weeks .........seen at least 20 in the last couple of weeks on motorways and A roads .They need a Green Cross Code Badger in a cape to set an example.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    sev112 said:
    I've noticed on motorways how many just sit in the middle lane, not overtaking anything and never pull over - As though the inside lane is not for them 
    Changed my behaviour since “managed motorways” and on those I won’t sit in the inside lane (there are usually 4) since I saw broken down vehicles in the inside lane without the motorway signals showing it was a closed lane !
    yes, I've been on them when all 3 right hand lanes are empty, and everyone is in the left lane.
    I think they should close it when the traffic is not very busy
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11940
    I don't hog the middle lane like some people, I prefer to stay in my own lane, on the right
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2776
    I THINK good driving is anticipating the driving of others and changing lane before it’s too late.  for example when you approach a junction on the left, you should be out in the middle lane before then slip road appears with traffic coming onto the motorway from the left.

I do have “arguments” with Mrs sev112 about how on motorways she waits and moves the indicator just as she’s started to pull out!?  I encourage her to do it earlier to tell traffic that she’s coming out.

one thing I hate, is when someone overtakes you, they immediate cut in in front of you (taking your stopping/blacking distance).  Not that this is bad enough in its own right, they then slow down immediately, as if they have done their overtake?!?!
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1590
    I don't hog the middle lane like some people, I prefer to stay in my own lane, on the right
    So apart from that, how're you finding the rest of the Audi TDi ownership thing then TC ? :)
    A quirky old man I used to work with had this thing about drivers who wore hats, any kind of hat ......he always said they were unpredictable and dangerous .....this was back in the late 70s /early 80s .
    Oddly I found that so daft that I've never forgotten it.
    Even more oddly........I've found it to be invariably true (chauffeurs exempted )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2776
    Particularly on Sundays 
    Beware Tartan Blankets on parcel shelf especially if there's a thermos next to it
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1968
    Dominic said:
    A quirky old man I used to work with had this thing about drivers who wore hats, any kind of hat ......he always said they were unpredictable and dangerous .....this was back in the late 70s /early 80s .
    Oddly I found that so daft that I've never forgotten it.
    Even more oddly........I've found it to be invariably true (chauffeurs exempted )
    He's right though. I'm always wary of hat wearing old fellas driving. They never seem to know where they are going and hit the brakes a lot and never bother signalling. It's up to you to give them that extra room (or "indecision space" as I like to call it). Always expect the unexpected because one day it'll save you. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    AK99 said:
    ^ Used to dread fluid-dynamics at college..but solid(s)-dynamics..now there's a thing..
    The trouble with introducing fluid dynamics to motorway design is that you'd need a minimum speed limit of 100mph through single lane contraflows. 
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    Beware Tartan Blankets on parcel shelf especially if there's a thermos next to it
    Dashcams are the one that make me think it must be a poor driver.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    Dominic said:
    I have never seen so much Badger road-kill as the last few weeks .........seen at least 20 in the last couple of weeks on motorways and A roads .They need a Green Cross Code Badger in a cape to set an example.
    You'll find an awful lot of those won't have met their untimely demise under a car but by a farmer who then dumps them at the side of the road to look like road kill.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11798
    abw1989 said:
    Dominic said:
    You'll find an awful lot of those won't have met their untimely demise under a car but by a farmer who then dumps them at the side of the road to look like road kill.
    Yes it's pretty obvious isn't it - I suspect a few blind eyes being turned because of the TB epidemic.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Yep.  Harder to perceive specific motion when the object itself is moving relative to you at a high speed.

When the wind is moving the trees it's much easier to perceive this motion in the trees right next to you, than in the trees in the distance.  When traveling at 70mph your time with any tree in close proximity is very limited.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11798
    You never really perceive 70mph as fast when you are driving, but if you stand by a major road, god it's quick - it's amazing how your perspective shifts.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    The worst bit is after you've been on a motorway for an hour or two, and come straight off into a 30. It feels slower than walking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7802

Someone I know* has driven at exactly 70mph in the left lane and passed someone driving slower in the fourth lane.

I once passed two cars in the third lane, one driving way too close to the one in front of it, with no-one in any of the other lanes (other than me) and virtually no-one else about.

Drivers are idiots.

*not me, I would never, etc.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1968
    sinbaadi said:
    Yep.  Harder to perceive specific motion when the object itself is moving relative to you at a high speed.

When the wind is moving the trees it's much easier to perceive this motion in the trees right next to you, than in the trees in the distance.  When traveling at 70mph your time with any tree in close proximity is very limited.
    Yes and don't forget time dilation and Lorentz contraction of distance due to Einstein's laws of special relativity. However, if you're going that fast then you'll be getting more than a speeding ticket; assuming they are able to catch you of course. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 849
    Anybody else remember that TV series from 3-4 years ago ... '100 year old drivers' ... it was fantastic!

There's at least one episode on YT :+1: