Even when you fork out for tablature it ain't always correct...

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1468
Been working on Jerry Reed's East Bound and Down and specifically THAT solo using the Hal Leonard Signature Licks Jerry Reed book.
After struggling with one particular passage that I could not get to sound right I went to my goto website for all things tab Songsterr and oh yes.. it's a series of pulloffs he's doing at that breakneck speed to get it sounding correct. And even then it hasn't got the rest of the solo correctly tabbed in parts. Seen players doing youtube vids and it's all over the place. I might finally hobble together a version that actually does represent what Mr. Reed is doing.

You'd think paying for tab they'd actually get it right in print..?!

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6687
    Not sure I’ve ever seen a tab of anything that was 100% right. In 35 years of playing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 556
    Before tableture became readily available most of the "sheet music" was transcribed by jobbing transcribers from classical backgrounds usually into keys suitable for piano. This meant you were trying to play a song recorded in E but transcribed in F and harmonised to be played on piano, if there were guitar chords they were very often approximate. It is also possible that pop songs and especially that dirty rock 'n roll stuff was done by the junior transcribers with minimal proof reading.

Don't touch that dial.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    I do love that everyone says that tab is wrong,  except when they do it themselves ?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3403
    sev112 said:
    I do love that everyone says that tab is wrong,  except when they do it themselves ?!
    It's true! Even the solos in Guitarist were patchy back in the day ;)
  • PALPAL Frets: 569
    I wouldn't say that any TABs are 100% or even many guitarists showing how to play guitar songs or solos.
      There are one or two guitarists who are very good but more people aren't The only thing you can do is listen and watch what
      they are doing but use your ears for the bits that don't sound right you will soon find you can learn songs just by improving
      your ear training.
      Even sheet music can be wrong so if you want to get it right the only person to trust is yourself and your own ears and the 
      best part about this is it's free !  Good luck.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3115
    I end up using an amalgam of sources when I'm learning something note for note. YouTube lessons and artist live clips get me in the ballpark - then I'll use my ear to fine tune. I've always found tab books for anything with complicated technique to be a rough guide only.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"