Learner / first car teenage insurance

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
What’s the latest best way to get insured?

We are getting daughter a little 1L Yaris, she’s still a learner. So car will be the family 2nd car and the learner practice car, then mainly hers when she passes, but still the family 2nd car. 
So we have every option of - Registered keeper, owner, main driver, named driver.

It’s been a few years since needing to do all this so what’s the collective wisdom now? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    We found cheapest was as a named second driver on mums policy when a learner. But that got expensive once passed the test. So then went onto a separate policy that has a tracker and logs who’s driving via a phone app. Still expensive for first year £1 per mile, dropped to 50p per mile after one year. Second driver must do less miles than named driver.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    My twins have just turned 17. We put both of them as named drivers on my wife's policy on her car (where I'm also a named driver). 

We were surprised it only boosted the insurance from around £150 to £300. With two learners on it. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    We used Marmalade at the learner stage. Then second driver on my policy then own insurance with us as named drivers on that (brings the cost down quite a bit). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1498
    The reason learner insurance is quite cheap is because it’s always supervised driving. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    The expensive bit is once they pass the test. Don't be surprised by quotes over £3k depending on where you live.
    If you have access to a company car it may be worth looking at whether that includes family member insurance. I know the NHS fleet schemes often do for up to 4 other drivers and it's included in the monthly car cost
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6876
    My sons response - “We use Marmalade, apparently its not amazing for regular insurance but pay per mile is alright“
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    My daughter passed 18 months ago or so, we insured the car in my wife's name while my daughter was a learner and we used marmalade for when my daughter was driving.  When she passed it was £1300 for a year without a black box (would have been £1000 with one).

When my daughter turned 18 we got rid f the learner corsa and my daughter went on my wife's insurance which is for a 170bhp 2.0 diesel volvo V40, same price as the corsa!
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    For my son direct line we’re the cheapest.

I took the policy in my name and added him as a named driver. We took the black box option.

It was about £900 to add him on An audi A3 convertible.

Admiral, who I was already with quoted my £4k for both of us.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    We’re with Admiral and they have always been the cheapest even when Learner#1 was going through the system. 

What’s Marmalade?
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    darius said:
    We’re with Admiral and they have always been the cheapest even when Learner#1 was going through the system. 

What’s Marmalade?
    Theyre an insurance broker. Marmalade is part of a big group known as Atlanta who have trading names you'll likely have heard of, Swinton being one. 

Marmalade's scope is young/learner/temporary cover and is underwritten by Ageas. 

The learner driver policies are... different in how they work. 
    It covers the driver as the 'risk' rather than the car. 

That way it gets around the issue of dual insurance, as the idea is you can insure yourself as a learner driver on your parents car, and their car needs to have the parents current insurance in place for Marmalade/Ageas leaner cover to apply. Other providers likely will be the same. 

The upshot is, if the learner has an accident in the parents car, they claim on their own learner policy thus it doesnt affect the parents NCD. 

Adrian Flux is another broker that has a similar product, they deal with a lot of the more niche stuff as well. 

As always, always fully read the policy booklet etc etc. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 453
    We are with Bell (Admiral) for the family (3 kids, wife and I) and it  was cheap until the kids started to have small prangs / accidents as part of life in London.. now we may be stuck as our NCD at risk so who would take us on?

Price sneaked up from around £700 3 years ago to £1600 on latest quote last week on a dented old cheap car (2014 Hyundai i10) - I know insurance prices are up quite a bit this year, but the cost of running cars and kids is getting painful.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    skunkwerx said:
    darius said:

What’s Marmalade?
    Theyre an insurance broker. Marmalade is part of a big group known as Atlanta who have trading names you'll likely have heard of, Swinton being one. 

Marmalade's scope is young/learner/temporary cover and is underwritten by Ageas. 

The learner driver policies are... different in how they work. 
    It covers the driver as the 'risk' rather than the car. 

That way it gets around the issue of dual insurance, as the idea is you can insure yourself as a learner driver on your parents car, and their car needs to have the parents current insurance in place for Marmalade/Ageas leaner cover to apply. Other providers likely will be the same. 

The upshot is, if the learner has an accident in the parents car, they claim on their own learner policy thus it doesnt affect the parents NCD. 

Adrian Flux is another broker that has a similar product, they deal with a lot of the more niche stuff as well. 

As always, always fully read the policy booklet etc etc. 

As I remember it we’d use my car and if it was a period in which I was going to take Eric Jr out for a bunch of practice we would add Marmalade so we would be legal and covered for him to drive. Might just take it out a week at a time, you can choose your period(s). So, didn’t pay for his insurance if we were going to be on holiday or just thought we had a busy time coming up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.