Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18813
    edited March 24
    Very true, particularly for fans of Queen  
    https://www.instagram.com/newcastleupontynedotcom/reel/C40ehyVImf1/
    Dance like no-one is watching, indeed...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I don't know why the Beeb says it's a new theory. People have known this for a long time, so maybe it's just been scientifically proven. The evidence has been around for years, both off and on-line. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited March 24
    I've just busted out a few rounds of the Macarena and the Spice Girls' Stop. I look forward to my moderate reduction in due course

Joking aside, if it helps somebody, even just one person, it's gotta be a good thing. The answer to a lot of life's questions often already exist, you just have to find them and be open I suppose
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 663
    I suppose it depends how you do it. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    For some reason, Michael Gove sprang to mind.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    merlin said:
    I don't know why the Beeb says it's a new theory. People have known this for a long time, so maybe it's just been scientifically proven. The evidence has been around for years, both off and on-line. 
    Agreed, but it's not the Beeb saying it, that link's to an article in the Independent...

Anyway, it's all very well but not much use if you've no interest in dancing.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I wonder whether Teresa May knew this. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    I went to a gig last night. Seven metal bands, great time had by all... best bit of the whole thing though was after the band finished: the DJ played loads of 2000s metal tracks and we all had a bloody good dance. Smiles all around, great atmosphere, and I felt fantastic (but worn out!) when I got back to my hotel room :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7201
    I can’t dance for shit unfortunately, I get really self conscious which makes things even worse . Stick me in a boxing ring and I’ll dance for 3 mins at a time , give me a skipping rope with some tunes on and I’ll skip in rhythm but put me on a dance floor and I become Steve Martin in The Jerk
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 24
    I used to love dancing in my teens & 20s .
    Northern Soul spins .
    My brain still wants to dance when it hears certain music  but my body is fooked.
    Talking Heads Stop Making Sense used to be a favourite with my kids.
    If I even attempted David’s jumping about run around now I would be dead.
    I hate it. :#
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3492
    There are many different reasons for depression, and many different ways to help alleviate the effects, I dont think dancing will help someone suffering from depression as a result of past trauma nor will it change current circumstances that could be the cause.
    'lets have a dance, that'll cheer you up' really isnt it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    There are many different reasons for depression, and many different ways to help alleviate the effects, I dont think dancing will help someone suffering from depression as a result of past trauma nor will it change current circumstances that could be the cause.
    It's not going to change the circumstances but it might help with the symptoms? 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    It might , most people suffering from depression though my guess is dancing is the last thing on their minds.
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    It might , most people suffering from depression though my guess is dancing is the last thing on their minds.
    That could be part of it. Takes your mind off your worries for a bit. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    It wont fix that gaping hole in your chest or the heavy weight dragging your every footstep lower into the abyss or the horrible sickening feeling of absolute and sometimes existential dread that prevents a person from doing the most basic of daily tasks.
    It might help post recovery to help prevent reoccurrence though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 24
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    It wont fix that gaping hole in your chest or the heavy weight dragging your every footstep lower into the abyss or the horrible sickening feeling of absolute and sometimes existential dread that prevents a person from doing the most basic of daily tasks.
    It's well understood that exercise helps depression. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    I agree, it does, but its more in line with CBT as a form of breaking cycles, which only works with perticular types of depression and the circumstances surrounding it.
    edited March 24
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    I agree, it does, but its more in line with CBT as a form of breaking cycles, which only works with perticular types of depression and the circumstances surrounding it.
    I'm not sure that's true. There's lots of info about the benefits.
    I think it actually effects your brain chemistry to. 
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    Kurtis said:
    robgilmo said:
    I'm not sure that's true. There's lots of info about the benefits.
    I think it actually effects your brain chemistry to. 
    It might, but depression is quite complex and in my view very missunderstood, people suffering from depression simply wont want to go out dancing, put it this way, you are curled up on your kitchen floor, crying, without hope, no light at the end of the tunnel, ending it would seem like the easiest way to stop your suffering, you wont be getting up, putting on the radio and having a dance. Exercise can help, but it takes a hell of a lot to get you to the point where you actually feel like doing any exercise at all. It might help when in recovery but it wont stimulate recovery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom