Screwing Strap Button Into Sharp Horn Like A Yamaha Revstar

What's Hot
BillDLBillDL Frets: 7282
edited March 24 in Making & Modding
Any Yamaha Revstar owners reading this?

If so, could you please describe to me how the strap button is mounted on the point of the upper horn.  I noticed that the button seems to be integrated into a chunky knurled collar of some kind, but I can't find any images of high enough resolution to let me see exactly what it is.

I have an SG styled guitar (Harley Benton DC Custom - Cherry) that has the strap button screwed into the back of the upper horn fairly close to the sharp point.  It's a lot better than having it on the heel, but it's still a little neck heavy and more importantly I don't like the way it makes the guitar feel as though it's still tilting away from me.  I would rather try and screw a strap button into the end of the horn, but it's pretty sharp.  I suppose I could bore a shallow circular recess into it for a strap button to sit flat, but I would lose depth on the button to put the strap over it.  I realise that Tony Iommi had his strap button right on the point of his proper SG.

I remember there was a Vox solidbody guitar with sharp horns that I think was part of the Virage range (SDC-33) that I think came with the strap button in roughly the same place as my "SG" like this:

.... BUT I also remember what I think was the same model with this strap extender fitted:

I managed to find the strap extender collar as a spare part on an American website, but it's out of stock:

I believe I could probably find a piece of thick-walled aluminium tubing and file a V into it to match the profile of the end of the horn on my guitar, but it would be easier if I could find a matching part or an alternative variation, which is why I have been trying to look closely at the strap button arrangement on Yamaha Revstars.  I'm not sure if the gizmo is just a chunky strap button and what I'm seeing folded back over the point is just a thick felt washer, or whether it's a collar with a V cut into it that sits over the point of the horn.

Could somebody please satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    If you don't need the extender function, use a really thick felt pad (or several thin ones) to take up the space between the flat metal surface and the pointy wooden one.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7282
    A slight extension on the button would be desirable, as would be provided by something like the Vox V-shaped collar, but I may well just end up doing what you suggested.
    As luck would have it somebody posted a for sale advert in the classifieds for a Yamaha Revstar and the photos linked to are of nice high resolution that allows me to see the top horn strap button.  It's not an extension but I think there may be a slight "flat" on the horn where it screws on, but is obscured by a felt washer.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Whatever solution you choose, make sure the screw is larger and (much) longer than the ones commonly supplied with strap buttons, so it will go further into the wood and can support the weight of the guitar by itself, without relying on the interface between the flat button and the wood to stop it bending sideways - otherwise there is a high risk of splitting the wood.

I would pick a screw which goes at least 30mm into the wood and is the fattest that will actually go through the button - and steel not brass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    Could you get someone to cnc print the collar piece out of plastic? If it was accurately fitted so there was no rocking movement it should be durable enough, I'd think (so long as the plastic isn't too brittle).
    I was just wondering about that myself @steambacus, but the only person I know with a 3D printer is a real know-it-all tosser that used to work under me and I was glad to see him leave for another job.  I was also wondering about using that 2-part epoxy putty that you slice from one or two rectangular logs (like a Battenberg cake) and mix together with your fingers. I used to have some that was particularly strong called "plastic steel" or similar that cured dark grey.  If I put some masking tape over the horn, then drilled and inserted a screw at the correct angle (all noted @ICBM), I could mould some of that epoxy putty around the screw and fashion a perfectly fitting collar with a ready-made threaded hole..
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    I’d be tempted to just file the shape into some brass bar and drill a hole through the centre
    I've just been out in my garage and up in the loft looking for something suitable to file (and drill if not already tubular).  I haven't been able to find anything yet, but I'm bound to have something that will work.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    elstoof said:
    I’d be tempted to just file the shape into some brass bar and drill a hole through the centre
    Brass for the improvement in the tonez? ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    What diameter is the button?
    I would probably try and fit a standard Schaller style straplock button (12mm diameter) but the screws for them are pretty skinny.  I could probably bore it out a but for a thicker and stronger screw.