Windows 10 to 11 and back

What's Hot
JayceeJaycee Frets: 309
I have been trying to find a way to upgrade from Windows 10 to 11.

Although my computer was able to run W11 I needed to ebable secure boot, which when I tried to do it in BIOS I was going in a circle and getting nowhere, so I stayed with W10.

I recently installed a M.2 NVMe ssd which was almost straightforward but I got there in the end.

I updated my BIOS to the latest version still good, then found a way to enable secure boot and "upgrade" to W11.

My M.2 was no where to be seen but the biggest irk I had with W11 was you can not move the task bar, I like mine at the top.
Anyway restored W10 found my M.2  and now all is well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    I'm bloody dreading it. 

Presumably the ever-excellent Open Shell fixes the stupid task bar, but there are going to be dozens and dozens of other problems, many of them with no practical cure. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    I haven't used Win11 yet but I'm going to go out in a limb and say it's basically Windows 10 but they've moved everything around so you can't find it anymore.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 309
    Emp_Fab said:
    I haven't used Win11 yet but I'm going to go out in a limb and say it's basically Windows 10 but they've moved everything around so you can't find it anymore.

I think that is basically it.  But the task bar not being able to move really annoyed me, and now that I have found how to get the BIOS to enable the M.2 I may give it another go.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 359
    edited March 25
    I've found the move to 11 pretty painless. The registry fix to reenable the proper right click options is the only major change I've made other than putting the start menu back on the right where it belongs
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    Jaycee said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I think that is basically it.  But the task bar not being able to move really annoyed me, and now that I have found how to get the BIOS to enable the M.2 I may give it another go.

I found that switching off all Microsoft tracking shit was easier in 11 than 10.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    Windows 11 is so similar under the bonnet to 10 that it could easily have been a service pack.

Indeed it seems MS haven't decided yet whether or not to do the supposedly upcoming "Windows 12" or simply to make it an update for 11.

Their older idea, have a continuous flow of updates for "Windows 10" - with the 10 slowly disappearing over time - was a better one.  I assume that an attempt at the old "Wintel Cartel" was the reason for "new version with stupid restrictions" play.

Installing Windows 11 on any hardware that will run it (in my experience, any PC with 8GB or more of RAM from the last decade runs better on 11 than 10) is now trivially easy with the Rufus boot-disk making tool, which will now let you make a custom USB stick to boot and install Windows 11, bypassing restrictions with tick boxes.

I've got an old PC set up for my Dad that runs great on Win 11, and it's basic bits are 12 years old!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'm still on 10 for now on both my PC and Laptop. Trying to hold off til 2025 as I like how 10 runs but eventually MS will stop releasing security updates I think. My lappie is 4 years old now though so it might be on its way out soon and any new one will probably have Windows 11 on it anyway.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27599
    Emp_Fab said:
    Plus with each new "upgrade" release, they handily remove some of the helpful little apps that came with old Windows just to make our WinExperience better (in a way that I've not yet realised).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.