More travel recommendations please..this time... Lisbon!!

mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
edited March 25 in Off Topic
I'm after Fretboarder recommendations for Lisbon, please. We should be staying near Castelo de Sao Jorge. I've only ever visited the Algarve, Portugal wise so any tips would be gratefully received!
"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Good shoes, it's hilly.

Airport is a short train ride or Uber ride away.  Use uber, not that expensive.

Try not to have luggage with wheels, travel with backpacks if you can, those cobble stones is hell to push/drag heavy luggage.

Seafood is the thing to eat here, as are the Pastel de natas.  Book a cooking class like me if you want to learn how to make them.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    In high season, don't bother with the trams as the queues are horrendous. It's better to do things on foot and watch the overcrowded tourist traps rumble by.

We had some great Portuguese food, but the best restaurant we ate in was actually Peruvuan. acevicheria.pt
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292

Loved it. But when we went there was a heatwave, so the pool in the hotel got more use than I'd have preferred, plus back then, the kids only tagged along to culture for limited time without moping.

Seafood was great, the custard things that are everywhere are nice enough but cloying for my tastes.

Lovely wine, friendly people. They have (or had then) a big graffiti problem which was a bit sad to see.  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    We were last there in 2018, and spent most of our time walking around the city, and along the banks of the Tagus. Portugal is proud of its maritime history. 

If you want to get out of the city then take a train to Sintra, and walk up the hill to the palace. The kitchens have ceilings like oast houses, with amazing reverberation.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Lisbon has  been the European trendy Gastronomy spot for about 3 years now so there are a lot of very good restaurants/foodie places if that's your thing . Although San Sebastien in Spain has the most Michelin 3 star restaurants within one city I think Lisbon has the most 2 star places .ElectricXII said:
    In high season, don't bother with the trams as the queues are horrendous. It's better to do things on foot and watch the overcrowded tourist traps rumble by.

We had some great Portuguese food, but the best restaurant we ate in was actually Peruvuan. acevicheria.pt
    I was underwhelmed by Cevicheria although it does serve the best Pisco Sour in the World except Satra in Lima .
    Giant Octopus hanging from the ceiling ?......takes a bit more than that to impress ....some of the Ceviches were quite bland .
    Bairro Alto is the best restaurant district and best Cocktail bars .
    I enjoyed Roca even though it's predominantly Italian but it's a very cool restaurant .....book well in advance here or anywhere else on the Gastronomic circuit;
    Esencial
    Belcanto
    JNCQUOI Avenida 
    Ramiro
    Pinoquio
    .......all outstanding 
    I found the 'hipster' must see of LX Factory with it's bars and restaurants complete rubbish.
    The Time Out food market restaurants /bars are good at lunchtime but expensive for what they are.
    The Belem area ,monastery Jeronimos and Recem district is very pretty and the riverside Belem Tower is beautiful.
    The Pastel de Nata was invented by a monk at Jeronimos and the Bakery at Belem where it was first produced is an institution ...there are many newcomers but this is the real deal and better than anywhere else to eat one ;they are different and crisper on the outside of the cup.
    The old town on the hill is iconic but not a lot there really other than a good view and a tram ride.
    Day trip to Sintra is a must.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    @Dominic Your palette is obviously far more refined than mine.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Oh well , you can't really go wrong with Fish anywhere
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4992
    If you like your food and don't mind a small group thing I'd highly recommend a food tour. I did the Undiscovered Food and Wine Tour with Viator. Off the beaten track somewhat but amazing local and Mozambique food (I didn't know about the connection). And ended at a great Fado restaurant where I had a good laugh with the guitarist about the relative cost of a Fado guitar versus 3 custom shop Strats! 

Sintra is definitely worth a day trip, although I found Pena a bit of a let down and preferred Quinta de Regalia, which was stunning.

A boat trip from the Dock near Belem was a highlight also, 2 hours on a yacht at sunset being served green wine the whole time and getting to steer the boat was cool
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...