Switzerland road trip

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3677
    edited March 26
    Lots of good suggestions already..   spent many months over the years climbing and walking the alps.

The Bernese Oberland is a must… Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. Classic Switzerland. Cable car up to Murren or rail to Jungfraujoch for a full glacier mountain experience.   The lakes have boats there.

For a local history hit, the Ballenberg living museum is a great day.

From Innertkirchen near there, you can tour the Grimel, Furka and Susten passes as a round trip. You can drive your van up to the Sustengletcher if hot in the valleys on that circuit.  There is camper van options at the top at the hotel I seem to remember.

Luzern is a superb city and has a great Museum.   I like Berne too.

I was less taken by the Valais for tourist driving and it’s a trek to Zermatt and as mentioned, it is car free. You can train last bit to see the Matterhorn.

A less travelled area is south of St Moritz down to the Italian lakes. Some lovely little villages if including the dolomites. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    My last trip to the Alps, a good 15 years or so ago, we just drove there and got lost for a week, the3n headed down to Greece, its not a cheap place but it was worth it.

Just be wary if looking for wild camping, the Swiss dont like it and they dont like you driving off piste, but if you are careful you will be Ok.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I worked in Switzerland 10 years ago, very beautiful country. Bern, Lucerne, Interlaken, Wilderswil, Grindenwald, Basel all v nice. 
    I liked Bern a lot. NOt been to Zurich, but I believe it is a bit dull
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10237
    I done a France/Swiss road trip. The mountain passes were great, we went to a beer festival in Interlaken, and went to Geneva on a Sunday and everything was shut. Had a great time.