Comments

• Happy it was an unmanned launch.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    That was a huge bang.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392
    Oh dear!
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Lot of mis-reporting by the BBC on this - it didn't explode in an uncontrolled way - the flight controller blew it up because they thought it was going to go out of control.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Jalapeno said:
    Lot of mis-reporting by the BBC on this - it didn't explode in an uncontrolled way - the flight controller blew it up because they thought it was going to go out of control.
    NBC claims an engine blew up [they have done so before in testing] .. I'd have thought the flight controller would have waited until it was clear of the launch pad before blowing it up. As it happens the launch pad's been wiped out ... NASA really has lost its way.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    Fretwired said:
    NBC claims an engine blew up [they have done so before in testing] .. I'd have thought the flight controller would have waited until it was clear of the launch pad before blowing it up. As it happens the launch pad's been wiped out ... NASA really has lost its way.
    They possibly didn't want to risk it veering off and causing even more damage somewhere else.

This wasn't NASA either - it's a private company. NASA has lost its way too though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    NASA's budgets have been seriously cut, they go out to tender making it a competitive situation between the various companies fighting for the contract...costs are saved to maximise margins....and KaBOOM!

That's always been the case. I seem to remember an anecdote by one of the early astronauts, being asked by an engineer "how do you feel sitting on top of a rocket when you know that every part has been built by the lowest bidder?"

The direct cause of the first Space Shuttle accident was Morton-Thiokol's management overruling their own technicians about the safe operating temperature, because they didn't want to lose their contract for the Solid Rocket Boosters...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

How much are those tickets for the first commercial space flight again?  :-SS
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    Jalapeno said:

oh boy, I'd love to be the guy with his finger on that button.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    I'd wait until it was almost at orbital velocity and just before the first slap on the back on the floor of mission control...

BOOOM! Fuck y'all!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    VimFuego said:
    Jalapeno said:

Yeah, but you'd have a remote control fitted and blow it up over a heavily populated area.

Or Somerset.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    VimFuego said:
    Jalapeno said:

Think about the poor bastard who had to light the blue touchpaper and then run like hell ... those Russian engines take some lighting ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    You see, this is where they need Emp's expertise.

• I feel sorry for the astronauts up there waiting for the Mars bars that will never arrive. 
    Not looking good…

:(

• Eccentrica Gallumbits would be quite happy with 3 big bangs ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    ICBM said:
    Not looking good…

:(

Blimey that's bad :-( My sons have been really getting into space stuff the last few weeks, I took them to the space centre in Leicester the other weekend and we've been watching the shuttle docs on the iPlayer together. it's so weird to think that NASA can't put a man in space on their own these days...and private companies are having a go.