Thread Edit: Help me sort out my pedalboard once and for all!

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
edited March 29 in FX
Thread edit. I had originally been asking about the Boss ME80, GT8 etc, but now instead of looking at it as a backup rig, how about trying to incorporate into main set up.

Things I don't like about individual pedals. Lots of cables, leads, power banks, 2 boards, one for mods, one for OD/distortion etc, when you add up the cost, it could be a really good quality multieffects with minimal hassle.

I don't use the amp effects loop (maybe I should).

Main advantages of single pedals. The Eventide Timefactor. Really good pedal. I'm not sure if e.g a HX Effects could get close or other brands?
The Walrus Audio Slo. Again, not sure if any multi effects pedal can replicate this.

I could keep these and use them with a multi.

I use the reverse on a Digitech digiverb which I would have to keep as well, as I don't think reverse is available on many multi effects pedals?

Everything else could be replaceable, so the general reverb pedal, chorus, overdrive, boost, volume pedal etc.

I'd keep the Pro Co Rat possibly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NicoAdieNicoAdie Frets: 30
    I used (and still do when occasion calls) a GT3 for years - it's a totally solid sounding unit and has analogue drives in it. Never used the amp sims but I'm led to believe they're shite, however as a backup I'm sure they'd get the job done.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    Below is a very old picture of my unusual :) set up with a GT6, which worked fine, with drive pedals in the FX loop and my GT6 in 'Manual' (stompbox mode).

I''ve since recreated a roughly equivalent set up completely within a Helix LT (i.e. no external pedals), which I use in stompbox mode. For a while the GT6 set up was my back up, but now I've got another Helix LT as backup. I like the option of switching to different presets, then back to stompbox mode to call up different pedalboard set ups. 

https://i.imgur.com/WtXcLYt.jpg

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    I need to have a look at the differences between the GT8, 10 etc
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I bought a couple GT8's just before a bought a GT-100. I Iiked the GT-8, it was very good.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11878
    I've got a GT-8.

I'm going to try it in stompbox mode in front of my katana the next jam I go to - gives you all the different things one might want in one, admittedly, largeish metal box.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    I've got a GT-8.

I'm going to try it in stompbox mode in front of my katana the next jam I go to - gives you all the different things one might want in one, admittedly, largeish metal box.
    I've been looking at the ME-80 as well. I'd like to reduce the number of cables and pedals etc I am using etc...
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2204
    edited March 29
    I've got a GT-8.

I've been looking at the ME-80 as well. I'd like to reduce the number of cables and pedals etc I am using etc...
    The ME-80 doesn't have an effects loop to include external drives, and I didn't get on with the internal drives. I actually preferred an ME-70, I had previously.

I tried an ME-80 but went back to my GT6 with decent drive pedals in its effects loop. Also, I much preferred the other effects (compressor, chorus, wah etc) in the GT6 to the ME-80. The Helix LT ended up being the optimum 'all in one box' solution for me. But it's down to personal taste. 

I assume they've improved the drives in the GT series now

It's not a competition.
    edited April 3
    Coincidentally I had been watching some Jonny Marr vids with his old Boss GT100. If it was good enough for him 10 years ago, why not now for me! Or am I mad to dismiss the HX Effects. I don't need amp sims, though the old story of "it's better to be looking at them than looking for them" applies here as well...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    How do you like things laid out? 

Preset banks (BOSS MS-3 w drives in loops)

or in

stompbox mode? ( Fractal FX-8, HX FX)

@Winny_Pooh I would most likely put a distortion pedal before the unit, or in a loop. And I might place a specific reverb after it. Presets would be handy to stop tap dancing. Would it be possible, with any unit, to have different banks that can be used in stompbox mode, so you could go to "song 1" and turn on/off effects, then to bank "song 2" and turn on/off effects with different settings if needed etc.